May 25, 2013

Why a break?

I've been blog hopping this morning and found a thread off of this post and that post and thought I would share it with you. It's about quality in the sewing and quilting industry. To get the whole picture, I also recommend the follow up posts too.

I do love Maddie's rules. It's spot on why I been out of the loop for so long.


Kids before quilts, 
Quality over quantity,
Marriage before making another commitment

That and my body was/still kinda is on the fritz. I have been dealing with gluten intolerance, so it is medically necessary for me to follow a gluten free diet to be healthy. I'm not just following some weird celebrity diet fad. It didn't help that gobs of my hair was falling out and gluten, which is like a poison to my body, is brutal towards your skin. Horrible especially when people judge you on looks and I felt like a 13 year old with thinning hair. To have those outward signs as well as internal ones was depressing. My skin has finally cleared of acne and irritation, and my hair is growing back. Trying to eat in a whole different way is frustrating. Restaurants, socializing, can be impossible. I have a lot more unpolite symptoms, before you think I am just a vain horrible person, but if you're wondering, you can check out the link here. And last summer I had tests for thyroid cancer. I had a cyst the size of a golf ball popped up over night on my neck in June. Freaked the hell out of me. Apparently one of the many small nodules on my thyroid busted a blood vessel in my neck. No cancer, I'm fine, but it makes you reflect. Between the thyroid stuff and gluten induced vitamin deficiencies making me sick and exhausted, I didn't want to create anything for a long long time. Now I am getting it under control. Trying to anyway. 
I hope that explains my blogging break. Missed you all. 

6 comments:

  1. Good post. I am certainly not in the industry and I haven't even ever made a tutorial. But the frenzy of it all can effect me, just looking at all the things that might be done, could be done, I want to do... it's enough to make my mental wheels spin out of control.

    I have been contemplating an internet break to just enjoy what's right before me. I have some health concerns I want to deal with as well and just rest. This is great advice, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy to see you back, but even more that you took the time you needed to take care of yourself. As a fellow gluten intolerant, I totally get it. It does take time to get acclimated to the world without gluten (and for me, dairy too), but even then and always you have to be vigilant. We can't just go grab a burger or pizza anymore. It requires thought and planning and cooking and questions, and all that can be exhausting. I'm glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You take care! Sounds like a rough road you've been on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are feeling better. I've been gluten free for 3 years and it does get easier and less frustrating. Hope your health keeps improving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear Kristen, you really have had a time of it but hey, we all understand. I really hope you continue to improve regarding the gluten issues.
    I love the sayings and how it reminds us to put things in perspective, just remember you own the blog, it doesn't own you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Kristen! I am so sorry you're going through so much with your health! I am glad you're finally getting a handle on it. Glad you're back :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make me so happy!
(Comment moderation enabled.)