May 22, 2013

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Picnic Stashbuster Quilt

If there is one quilty fact you should know about me is that I love to hand quilt in perle cotton. I love mixing up the colors, the forgiving  nature of the stitches, and the notion that the recipient will know that I lovingly worked on their gift in my hands for hours, days, weeks or months. In some cases years. Even though it takes a while, I am very proud of the results.

This quilt started with a stack of Denyse Schmidt's Picnic and Fairgrounds.

Kaleidoscope  Picnic Quilt

I used the design for a scrappy Kaliedoscope called the Stashbuster from Sarah Fielke's and Kathy Doughty's book Material Obsession 2. I strip pieced my version, not using real scraps. In the border, you can see the strips I cut the triangle templates from.

Sewing along with others, at Don't Call Me Betsy's Kaliedoscope Along in June 2011, the top was completed.

Kaleidoscope Quilt Top

I used multiple colors of perle cotton 8 to stitch along each piece in the Summer of 2012.

Kaliedoscope QAL quilt

An overall grid in lime was added along the white pieces as suggested by the book.

Kaliedoscope Quilt

Each yo-yo was applied by hand applique, once the quilting was complete. Aurifil in 50 wt works great.

IMG_4528

I added a scrappy binding to complement the the scrap quilt look. (9ish yards of hand finished binding takes forever. Good thing it means you are almost done.)

Color advice anyone?

The quilt measures 72 by 80 inches and fits comfortably on a twin sized bed. The quilt is for my four year old Zoe.

Stashbuster- Kaliedoscope Quilt

This was finished in August of 2012 as I have been taking quite a break from blogging.




My next two handquilting projects are my Single Girl, the quilting is halfway complete, (yay!), and my Granny square quilt.

If you like what you see, follow me on Bloglovin in the top right corner. Also, see my other handquilted entry (#62) in the category Bed Quilts.

Thanks for visiting both my entries for the Blogger's Quilt Festival.


AmysCreativeSide.com

11 comments:

  1. It's so beautiful, fresh and lovely. Amazing job on the hand quilting - it's so worth it and the close ups show that you did a fabulous job on it. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a beautiful job - it's a lovely quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh I like this one too. Great colours in those fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your hand quilting is always beautiful! Glad to see you blogging again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore your quilt! It has so many of my favorite things: Denyse Schmidt, scraps, hand quilting! And I am inspired by those yo-yos :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh this is lovely! I sewed along with that sew along too and my quilt from it is one of my all time favs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so nice to see your kaleidoscope quilt, all finished and beautiful and gorgeously hand quilted. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the colours you've used, really effective with the white and beautiful simple hand quilting.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make me so happy!
(Comment moderation enabled.)