May 22, 2013

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Children at Play Quilt

I was asked to make a quilt for a 'client'. I'd like to say that someday, but my SIL asked for this quilt for her son Benjamin. We planned it together online through many emails and ongoing communication throughout. We settled on a quilt similar to a Pottery Barn design, but homemade from the heart instead.

The twin bed quilt measures 60 by 87 inches.

SJ Children at Play Quilt
She sent me a bunch of fat quarters and yardage and I went to town on them.

Children At Play
Children at Play

My kids helped me layout the squares. The loft is my design wall when it is clean.

Children at Play

I made the the top within a couple of weeks,

Keeping it Simple

but spent the rest of last year quilting it.

Sarah Jane Closeup

Border Treatment

I added a few extras from Sarah Jane's blog.

Airplane Applique

Amy Smart of Diary of a Quilter had made a cute baby quilt for Sarah's Market booth with an airplane design. I thought it would be perfect for the back.
SJ Children at Play Quilt Back

I couldn't leave the back boring, right?

IMG_4227


My SIL said surprise me and I guess I did. I got this note in return when her twin sister hand delivered it to her across the country after a visit. "I just about died when I opened the quilt, I literally almost lost my breath. Then when I turned it over, I almost flipped because I had seen and downloaded the paper airplane template online a long time ago from sarahjanestudios.com. I will have to write more later...." I am so happy I surprised you Becky! I love that you understand the homemade thing. I hope little Ben has many good sleeps under it.




My next two handquilting projects are my Single Girl, the hand quilting is halfway complete, (yay!), and my Granny square quilt.

If you like what you see, follow me on Bloglovin in the top right corner. Also see my other handquilted entry (#19)in the category Hand-Quilted Quilts.

Thanks for visiting both my entries for the Blogger's Quilt Festival.


AmysCreativeSide.com

10 comments:

  1. I love the airplane. It's not often that the back of a quilt rivals the front of it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun!! Way to make a fabulous surprise for your SIL. I understand that feeling of creating something special for someone that actually appreciates your work. Thanks for sharing this project. Great quilting! Hope all is well with you and your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! Sounds like the 'client' was over the moon. :-)

    The airplane is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I love the back! The solid background lets the quilting show through and the airplane and stitching is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute front, even cuter back. I love fun backs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this, especially the aeroplane on the back - a great design :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute patchwork quilt! The back is especially cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it, and even more that it's appreciated and loved by the recipient. The fabrics are gorgeous, and the backing is cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the clean fresh colours in this quilt, and the cute little surprise on the back. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make me so happy!
(Comment moderation enabled.)