September 7, 2012

Super Mario QAL: The Fire Flower

The beginning of school is well underway. Now there is only 1 little one at home. Zoe is adjusting well and there is less strife since she has no one to 'bother'. It is nice to just listen to her play and realizing how happy it is. A lot of her dolls are potty training. Successfully too, I might add. ;)

Another block has been added to the bunch. This QAL is not to be passed up. I have got to get my act together on other WIPs, but I stop for this one. These are the blocks so far. I'll add Pacific Blue as the Kona solid sashing between them. Fun, no?

Super Mario Quilt

I played with Angela's pattern and this is what I came up with. I added some red to the Fire Flower and used all the greens I collected for this project. I may have used the seam ripper way too much, trying to get the seams to nest the right way, but it's my favorite block so far.

Super Mario Fire Flower
Kaufman Kona used: aqua, white, black, tomato, orange, canary, jungle, clover, and
sour apple


My thought is to finish this for Christmas. I am thinking of a pieced back that is very busy in places. I am thinking there will be a lot of seams on top of seams. Is this a good or bad idea for anyone familiar with a longarm sewing machine? Should I go ahead and piece the back with pieces as small? Doesn't hurt to think ahead, right?

Sharing with Amy and Sarah this week.

8 comments:

  1. This is looking so awesome. I have all the fabric I need to make this, but haven't started it yet. (It got hot this summer, unusually so, and I didn't touch my sewing machine for nearly two months!) I'm definitely going to piece mine together in clumps like yours, rather than doing all those itty bitty squares.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you find these patterns? My nephew would just love this! Great job. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love your piecing on these. So beautiful Kristen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blocks look great! I really like the colors for your fire flower, they pop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very clever. My ten year old son was very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous flower block! These look like so much fun - great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This quilt is SO amazing!!

    Glad you're enjoying quieter days (I know I am) and hopefully a little more time to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A-MAZING!! So glad I popped in to visit. I just love this quilt.. so cool. And I'm obsessed with that color of background fabric right now. Just got some to someday start a scrap quilt, using my g-ma's scraps and that as the background.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make me so happy!
(Comment moderation enabled.)