August 17, 2012

Zakka Pencil Case

I decided to go and buy some Asics running shoes. I put on the TV to occupy the kids and went for a 2.5 mile jog/run on the treadmill. I have been going to this and that doctor without any answers, and it seems like I am allergic to something. I still can't figure it out. My latest thought is it may be bleached white flour as I ruled out gluten and lactose with actual blood tests. I am beyond frustrated with food. On top of that I have a Vitamin D deficiency which may explain the fatigue, and my thyroid is being flaky. So I am just going to change the diet and get some running in the schedule. Those are within my control.

Usually no gluten and no sugar works for me and my husband work schedule has changed so I might be able to exercise the morning before school. These hot pink shoes were the most calm looking ones I could find besides being really comfy. Styling huh? And those patio pumpkins are huge!

IMG_3861


While my boy's corn only grew tiny half grown ears, Anna's pumpkins are growing very quickly and we may have pumpkin pie soon. Although I have not the slightest idea of the variety here and that might not taste so great.

Lastly, I have finished some Essex linen pencil cases from Zakka Sewing: 25 Japanese Projects for the Household. The case itself is not hard to sew, but you need to clip around the curves many times for the concave curves to lie flat.

Zakka Pencil Case


The inside lining is actually a rectangle so it is easy to fit within. The ears are back-stitched shut and hand appliqued to the body.

The hexagon bunny tail uses two 1/2 inch hexagons- one in linen and one in matching fabric. I braided two strands of perle cotton 8 in ecru for the pulls.

Zakka Pencil Case

While seemingly long I wanted my children to be able to grasp the twine rather than the hexagon tail. I used an old baby outfit for the gingham blue bunny as it almost perfectly matched the one in the book. What are the odds?

Zakka Pencil Case


I plan to make more from this book as it has many sweet designs. I am also thinking what other animals would look good made into a pencil case like this. Hedgehog? Iguana? Dachshund? What do you think?

 

5 comments:

  1. Your shoes are great....love the pink splash. Your pencil cases are SO cute!! I love the pulls and the ears. I definitely think you should make more!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dachshund please. Those are so cute!!!!
    Good luck with your new shoes. I'm going to email you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your frustration with the allergies. I have many allergies but it took me 2 years to discover that one of them was chloraphyll. That's right. I can no longer eat anything green, including herbs, tea and olive oil. But I feel so much better that it was worth the wait. Keep at it, you will figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, these are adorable! WHOOP WHOOP I just love the little hexies on the straps :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. great...post...!!! I really appreciate it...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make me so happy!
(Comment moderation enabled.)