August 1, 2012

SMB Quilt Along: The Goomba


Super Mario Goomba

I thought I might show my mini block method that I used for the Goomba block. He's such a baddie! 

I break up each pixelated grid into mini blocks that minimize the number of pieces and seams. There are two here that got switched, his cheeks, but I fixed that before sewing.  The best part is that the features of each pixelated character are symmetric so there are lots of mini blocks that are reflections of each other. I also piece horizontal rows that are almost the entire width of the block and then add pieces on each end.

Super Mario Goomba

You can see the Luigi and Guido here with links to the quilt along. 

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced



8 comments:

  1. Nice explanation. There are definitely similarities between your QAL and the Tetris one I am doing. Pixels are THE thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I don't like all that stabilizer so I'm happy to see this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. he's so cute!
    and good idea on simplifying the pieces a bit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks fabulous! Just like the game!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is genius - this quilt is going to rock!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is an awesome idea!! Makes it more manageable that way. You're goomba is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice approach to the piecing, and this is the first sewn Goomba I've seen. :) You guys are having fun with this one!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make me so happy!
(Comment moderation enabled.)