July 23, 2012

Super Mario QAL Progress: Mario and Luigi blocks

I love pixelated video game quilts. I saw this QAL and realized it had to be on my bucket list of quilts and toute de suite. The first two blocks are completed.

I took the pattern and broke it into small blocks, planned ahead where I was going to press the seams, and sewed the completed rows of blocks together. It doesn't use Pellon, because I can't afford it right now. You know already I am also working on a postage stamp quilt and I want to finish this quick. I made do and I certainly hope I captured the feel of the pixels.

Mario:

Mario

Luigi:

Luigi

I placed Mario down wrong side up and used that to flip the image. Only the head and cap need to be reversed. A simple strip of aqua on the body moved from the right to the left as well.

Here are the Kona colors I am using from Robert Kaufman.

Reference photo of Kona Colors for the Mario QAL

From top left clockwise: Forest, Jungle, Clover, Kiwi, Sour Apple, Canary, Corn Yellow, Orange, Tomato, Medium Grey, Ash, White, Cream, Wheat, Earth, Mocha, Chocolate, Royal, Pacific, Aqua, Black.

There are a few extra, but I tend to experiment as I go. I was lucky since some were in my stash and many are fat quarters.

The advantage of using this method is if my husband walks in on me, sewing a section, he won't have a clue what I am working on. "manical laugh, manical laugh, manical laugh..." ;)

9 comments:

  1. Guow!! these look amazing! i tried to make a Yoshi with 1" squares, and it ended there, in trying. Haha, you´ve given me somo new encouragement to start again. love your work! victoria

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're looking great! Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a funny idea.
    Marianne from Denmark

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL!! They look great. This is a fun one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. they're so cute! Great work, and great colors too...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're so smart. I would combine like-coloured squares to make rectangles, too. Big time and piecing saver and I don't think it takes away from the pixelated image at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too much fun! Lucky your husband doesn't read your blog. They really do look pixelated so you nailed it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make me so happy!
(Comment moderation enabled.)