I love pixelated video game quilts. I saw this QAL and realized it had to be on my bucket list of quilts and toute de suite. The first two blocks are completed.
I took the pattern and broke it into small blocks, planned ahead where I was going to press the seams, and sewed the completed rows of blocks together. It doesn't use Pellon, because I can't afford it right now. You know already I am also working on a postage stamp quilt and I want to finish this quick. I made do and I certainly hope I captured the feel of the pixels.
I placed Mario down wrong side up and used that to flip the image. Only the head and cap need to be reversed. A simple strip of aqua on the body moved from the right to the left as well.
Here are the Kona colors I am using from Robert Kaufman.
From top left clockwise: Forest, Jungle, Clover, Kiwi, Sour Apple, Canary, Corn Yellow, Orange, Tomato, Medium Grey, Ash, White, Cream, Wheat, Earth, Mocha, Chocolate, Royal, Pacific, Aqua, Black.
There are a few extra, but I tend to experiment as I go. I was lucky since some were in my stash and many are fat quarters.
The advantage of using this method is if my husband walks in on me, sewing a section, he won't have a clue what I am working on. "manical laugh, manical laugh, manical laugh..." ;)