May 21, 2012

Keeping It Together

That title pretty much describes last week. However I will hold back in fear of being whiny instead of authentic! The one good thing that happened last week was Andrew got into full day kindergarten with the same teacher as Anna and a weight of uncertainty has been lifted.

Holding it Together
Denyse Schmidt- Picnic and Fairgrounds/ Stashbuster design- Material Obsession
 
In the meantime, I am holding my kitchen floor hostage this afternoon and taped fabric to it! Hah. At least now I can be quilting something instead of hiding the top in a drawer somewhere. 

Holding it Together
Kaleidoscope QAL
My first floor is a dark hobbit hole, so you will have to excuse these less than stellar pictures, but at least in the summer I have a cool house here in the desert.

I am going to partially thread baste it, because I always get annoyed with the pins catching in my quilting hoop. I will then add the pins, sparingly in spots I will know be in the center of the hoop to begin with, and remove them as I quilt. Plus, if my back isn't in pain, I can baste another quilt next week!

So what do you prefer? Thread? Pins? Is everyone spray basting? Can you use this with hand quilting? Anyone have an opinion?

15 comments:

  1. Spray definately :) You may have had a hard week but at least your quilt top is superb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I do enjoy the spray baste for smaller projects. Have tried it on larger ones with not quite so much success. I have to say I have the most reliable success with pins but I hate doing it! Basting is definitely my least favourite part of the process. :)

    Your quilt is beautiful, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully done!I spray baste if I'm machine quilting. Spray is nasty if you're hand quilting, your needle gets all gummed up and is really difficult to push through, so your stitches end up eneven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer spray. Haven't tried it with hand-quilting...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never tried spray. Does anyone know how it affects a sewing machine- needle ect?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spray basting is the way to go, as far as I'm concerned. As long as you use a "sewable" basting spray, you won't have trouble with your sewing machine needle. I like the June Tailor brand they sell at Joann's....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty Kristen! I have used basting spray but can be costing on my pocket book. So I pretty much stick with pins. I have tried thread basting. It sure takes a long time and I jsut want to start quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha, you and me were both on our kitchen floors basting today. My preferred method is not at all, LOL. But that doesn't work (at all). So it's pins for me, although sometimes I use Rave hairspray AND pins (but fewer of them). I have not yet tried the commercial spray basting stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to pin-baste but my back (and patience) prefer spray. It's stinkier, and aerosol, but sooo much faster. I only use 505 - I hear the June Tailor stuff really reeks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a pinner. Never used spray. Sounds kind of messy to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a spray baste convert. Love it!!!! (as does my back). I only use 505 as well - it's not stinky or anything. Doesn't gum up the machine needle. I haven't tried it with hand quilting but I would definitely consider it! Try it out on a small project?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that quilt. I'm a hand quilter, and I prefer to thread baste the quilt. Pins get in my way, and, I don't like the spray baste, because the smell never goes away until the quilt is washed. It gives me a headache while I'm quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. again, Kristen, i am in awe of your projects. i heart fabric so much and when i see your stuff, though i completely lack the talent/skill i am so inspired. i am obsessed with the sarah jane: children at play fabric for ben: http://www.diaryofaquilter.com/2011/05/new-fabric-sarah-janes-children-at-play.html
    -becky

    ReplyDelete
  14. When I baste, I prefer to thread baste because pins get in the way. But I have a quilt frame from Heartland Quiltworks in Canada and with that you don't have to baste at all. So that's what I use :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Let's see. I never use spray basting. And I can only think of twice that I've thread basted. So, pretty much, I pin-baste. I usually machine quilt, so I either put the pins where I won't have to quilt, or I take the pins out as I go.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make me so happy!
(Comment moderation enabled.)