May 23, 2012

A Finish?? Nahh!!! : WIP Wednesday

Been working on my Kaliedoscope quilt this week. Remember that QAL with Don't Call Me Betsy? I just threw it on the kitchen floor this Monday and said so what if the kids are going to dance on it and the dog licks it? OK, they did neither and I threw a old sheet over it when I wasn't working on basting it. Then there was the ants in the kitchen in the middle of the two day process. I know! I just mopped, but the dog bowl was great fun for the ants. Luckily the quilt was spared, but basting a quilt always seems like an epic event over here.

Kaliedoscope Quilting

I basted with pins and thread since I am going to hand quilt this. I picked green for the grid and once that is done all the pins will be gone. Then I will move on to the triangular units and stitch a quarter inch with different colors of perle cotton.

I also finally picked up a fat eighth pack of Anna Maria Horner's Loulouthi on etsy. I hesitated for quite a while, but, I will be honest, I love my stash of Good Folks a lot more. I bought it since the Patchwork Prism is on my list. Her fabrics always look glorious together. I don't have the cutting time to make it now, but there is a quilt along going on here for it. I joke with my husband that I should call them Top Alongs since I am so bad at finishing them. I still have a pinwheel and a Single Girl waiting for attention. We should just start a support group for finishing those QAL UFO tops! I bet there would be a lot of takers! Maybe it's just me.

Loulouthi Fat Eighth Pack

I also bought this little bit of reversible ribbon. Not sure what I should do with it, but I couldn't pass up this tiny impulse buy.

Rosa Pomar Ribbon-Folk Birds

I did finish this Granny Square Top- favorite of all time. It has all of my most loved fabrics. The border was a bit frustrating, but all the measurements worked out well. I'll hand quilt that too, so no finished quilt for a while. I am going with the extra wide Moda Dotties backing in red.

granny Square top

I also have been plugging along with my postage stamp quilt. Each block has 400 squares so I am glad I have 9 out of 16 blocks done. Halfway there!! Really what was I thinking? Yeah... darn bucket list...

Postage Stamp Quilt

So I am going off to quilt. Finish?? Nah!!! Although I did finish this picnic quilt recently. See! I do actually finish something!!

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

19 comments:

  1. Wow Kristen you are on a roll girl! Seeing your Granny Square quilt top really makes me want to jump right in and give it a go. They are all so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love your grannies, especially that border. I'm working on the border for mine - couldn't go the easy route either. And that Kaleidoscope quilt is going to be stunning. Too funny about the kitchen floor and ants and all. Glad the quilt survived!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the granny square quilt. Can you tell us more about the border, how big are the squares, how did you make it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that granny square top is beautiful!! 400 squares per block? are you mad! great projects!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Granny square quilt is amazing, one of the nicest ones I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love everything you are doing! The granny squares are awesome, love the border. I am doing the patchwork prism quilt along and really enjoying it. Its a lot of cutting, but the fabrics you have would be gorgeous! (top along, thats funny!!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The border on your granny squares top is incredible. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all of your projects. The Granny Squares looks fantastic with the fabrics you chose and I really like the peek of the kaleidoscope.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are busy! I hear you on the quilt top situation, I have tops done than I can possibly ever quilt!
    Great choice on the green thread, by the way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love everything in this post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your granny's! That is a very nice ribbon, too! Can't wait to see the hand stitching on the Kaleidoscope!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha ha Top Along - I hear that. My Kaleidoscope QAL top is still not even pieced! I do love all that you've got going on here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your granny squares quilt is amazing. That border is perfect! I love the rainbow effect. You are more woman than me with that postage stamp quilt - 400 squares? It would be staying on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seriously, cant you make something not so brilliant. I am in total awe over your projects. The Kaleidoscope will be a stunner.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your quilts are all so amazing and your color choices fantastic! I am blown away that you are hand quilting such large quilts, I don't have the guts for that. Right now I have only done 2 very small projects. Maybe some day I'll go big!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great to see your kaleidoscope quilt come together and what an awesome granny square top!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your quilt is gorgeous! But where did you get your trim? I have some similar that I just used here (http://auntspicy.blogspot.de/2012/05/another-little-wonderful.html) and I want to find more!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the granny quilt. As usual your fabric choices are top shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome! The granny squares and the postage stamps look amazing. And I can relate with the basting-a-quilt dilemma. My living room floor is the only place big enough for some quilts ... which means I do it with the usual "traffic flow", or I wait till the dead of night when nobody else is awake. Surprisingly, the high-traffic times still seem to work fine!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make me so happy!
(Comment moderation enabled.)