February 24, 2012

TGIF

I worked on a lot of UFOs and finished some WIPs these last two weeks.

Blissful Flying Geese


I tried paper piecing and found this pattern to try. It was easy when I got the hang of it. Amanda has a great tip for anyone who tries this. Megan worked on one I loved and I knew I had to make one too. I hadn't seen it for months and just linked to it today, but it seems I picked the same binding. It's funny how the subconscious works!

Paper pieced mini


I added some perle cotton handquilting, but after washing I realized that the white was not prewashed and the puckering wasn't what I wanted for something I wanted to sit under a vase of flower. Noted for next time.

It peaked my interested so my son and I embarked on a mug rug paper-piecing project. While I positioned the paper and fabrics, he sewed accurately on the marked lines of the pattern!

Paperpieced mini


It was so much easier than explaining how to make an accurate quarter inch seam.  I sewed the binding and its corners on. Then he sewed the binding on the back, pinned by me, and my jaw dropped.

Andrew's Mugrug


He actually was able to stitch in the ditch accurately. My husband was like, cool, but you guys know how hard that is!! I love sewing with my kids. My son was so proud of himself.

I made another pincushion for Jenny. My first got lost in the Christmas mail, but I am so glad she got this one. I added a few scraps to hopefully alleviate the waiting.

DS Pincushion


Then I picked up a really old WIP.

Handpieced Stars


This is a star quilt that has been staring at me for 10+ years. (gasps)  I am hand piecing them. I have twenty stars in completed rows of twenty. That's where time got away for me for a few years. Something about having 3 kids. ;) Now the rows are being sew together. I haven't finished it because it makes me want to cry. It doesn't reflect my fabric choices at all these days and takes time away from other quilts, but it would be a shame to leave it unfinished. I started it before I had a machine. Ack. Either way I am going to press on. What's a few more years, right? I fondly blame Amanda Jean for picking this one up again! :)

I am going to enjoy my time today visiting Amy, Sarah and Amanda Jean this week and finding what other finishes are out there.


15 comments:

  1. Love the circled flying geese. Good job to your son! I haven't paper pieced. The one time I tried, I kept messing up. One of these days I'll try again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your Flying geese - that block is somewhat of an obsession of mine!!

    The mug rug and pincushion are fantastic, your son did a brilliant job on the binding, mines never that neat!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the flying geese circle. I made one too, after seeing Megan's a few months back, and it was a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! It came out so pretty too! I have that pattern and it's still waiting to be made.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your hexie pincushion! And don't feel bad about your W.i.P. I've got one like that too - it's been a W.i.P. for the past 11 years.I finally decided to cut myself some slack and just use it for FMQ practice. Kudos to you for keeping at it. And hand piecing at that? I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE your collaborative mug rug!

    If the WIP will satisfy and please you to finish it, go for it. But if it won't....I say let it go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Flying Geese block and mini are sew sweet and I love that your kids sew with you...I have three boys and when I'm selfish and don't want to share...they want to learn. When I ask them to sew, they don't want to. LOL A love-hate relationship with them and the machine. The lil' pincushion is adorable and I'm proud of anyone who will persevere and take up an old project and finish it! Says a lot about their character!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your flying geese circle turned out so cool! That is on my list of things to try. Thanks for the link with the tips. How great is your son's mug rug?! Very nice job!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my - what fun! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you need to finish that last one and then you can see the years of changing fabric choices in one quilt--kinda cool right?!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful projects! And your son did an awesome job on that mug rug. Love it! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love, love, love that paper-pieced "wreath" block. And that is so cool that your son is sewing with you too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. your goodies continue to amaze me and they are CRAZY mathematically perfect....i hope you make a ton, sell a ton, and make a ton of dough one day. you are truly gifted :) love, becky

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a project that uses the circle of geese like yours and I'm in love with them wherever I see them. Great colors you used! I really enjoy the process of paper piecing this block. And I also think it's great you sew with your kids. My mom taught me to sew and my aunt taught me and my cousin as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make me so happy!
(Comment moderation enabled.)