February 20, 2012

I ♥ Granny! (squares)

Sometimes my mind goes blank when I have to sit down to write a blog post. Usually it's, "Ooo the kids are asleep!", and then I want to crash and watch too much TV. So the last couple of weeks have been hectic and I have been on a new diet. Seeing some results, but the worst part is no sugar, no gluten and no caffeine. Yikes! I am getting used to it, but the first few days made me realized how addicted I am to all of it.

Of course I am getting addicted to something new.

IMG_3036


IMG_3039


IMG_3035


IMG_3032


IMG_3031


IMG_3034


I am finding Quarter Square Triangles and some Half Square Triangles avoid fabric waste. I used 4 1/8 inch and 2 3/8 inch squares of the Kona Snow respectively. Tracy mentioned this in the flickr group's discussions and it has worked beautifully. I starched the squares before cutting and as a rule kept the bias edge on the bottom as I sewed. All blocks finish at 9 inches square.



I may have figured out my attraction of Granny Square Quilts. Each square is like a mini quilt with it's own cohesive color grouping that could be used in a larger quilt, but with a lot less work and instant satisfaction. I need that!

IMG_3030


Plus, I have no idea how to make granny squares by crocheting! Check out Blue Elephant Stitches if you want to see a finished quilt and tutorial. Here is another Flickr group.

After the sixth 20 inch block of my 1 inch postage stamp quilt,

1 inch Postage Stamp Quilt Block- 1 of 6 completed


these granny square blocks seem easy enough and I am using every bit of the stash! Can't beat that! Will you be making a Granny Square quilt with the Old Red Barn Quilt Along? I will be making it when I have the time and who knows what size it will end up.

Hanging out with Modern Mondays with Meagan and BOMs Away (a finished Block Link Up) at Lyn's.

19 comments:

  1. I haven't had time to even sit and pull fabric much less make a block. Yours are killing me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blocks are so beautiful, Kristen! I have somehow avoided getting involved with Granny Squares so far, but seeing blocks like these really makes me want to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work! I think you have me convinced that I need to jump on the Granny squares bandwagon...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I just love these. I am so signing up for that quilt along. Love your granny squares, colors are great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Olá,só trabalho com sucatas e daí para copiar você é um pulo.Os meus retalhos são brasileiros ,compro por kilo,então estou fazendo todas ou quase todas que encontro por onde navego.Mas a minha paixão mesmo é HEXÁGONOS,tenho algumas de vários tamanhos e combinações de estampas e sólidos,estou esperando ter 20 para mandar para acabamento,estou confiante que em julho eu já tenha acabado essas últimas,será que será a última????Beijos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness GORGEOUS granny blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE the colours you're using in your granny squares. When the quilt is done, I'm coming to your house and stealing it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh man. those are awesome. i hear you on the writing of blog posts... sometimes im inspired and other times im like "uh, i cut up this fabric and then i sewed it back together..." haha. i might have to jump on this qal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. so cute Kristen! ♥ (I hope you don't mind that I linked to you so people could see what I meant by the little dog ears). :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the Granny Squares! And as always, your postage stamp project blows me away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those Granny Square blocks are wonderful! And look like such fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could get addicted to those squares too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your blocks are absolutely perfect!!! I love them :) Can't wait to see your finished quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome work! I love the Granny Squares, and I know what you mean about the mini-quilt-satisfaction thing. I love the look of your postage stamp quilt, too. Really amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your colour combinations are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your fabrics look amazing - what a lovely stash you must have! Adding that accent of white in both quilts just makes your fabrics sing. I think I'll have to do a bit of backreading, and then blog hopping (when I really should be sewing)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the colors of your quilt, and it is so perfectly sewn, do you mind if I borrow your beautiful idea, for a little ipad pouch and a cell phone pouch for my mom. My mom's got a Tracfone LG800G smart prepaid phone with a large touch screen and it's already fallen once on the carpet and even though it only cost $50 I don't want to take any more chances with the ipad and cell phone screen that can get shattered or scratched.
    The white and candy colors of your quilt is so sweet, it makes for a restful bedroom.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make me so happy!
(Comment moderation enabled.)