February 27, 2012

Granny Square Goodness

IMG_3055


These are too much fun. By finishing three this weekend, I am up to nine so far and I am going for very scrappy and bright. I may make the centers different in some, but not all cause I don't really care what the rules are. The whole point of granny squares in crocheting is to use up extra bits of yarn so I am trying for the same look for me.

Granny Square #8

I am placing more grey, brown and black into the design without sacrificing the brightness.

Granny Square #7

I press towards the white and the strips are pressed away from the center. I want to connect them the way they are, but my dilemma is how to press the blocks when they are sewed together.  I may opt for a one inch sashing to set the blocks.

Granny Square #9


I have been leaving them up on my linen inspiration board which creates pure motivation every time I walk by to make more!!

Hanging out with Modern Mondays with Meagan and BOMs Away (a finished Block Link Up) at Lyn's. 

19 comments:

  1. kristen, these are great! i just love granny square blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look wonderful! This is my favorite block right now, I love seeing how other people create it! I love how you got the riding jacket to fit in the yellow block! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love it! I'm determined to start a granny square quilt this next month! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colours you used. So happy and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. brilliant. you've totally got the right look for these blocks and I agree about what you said regarding the point behind grannys squares. This has been an awfully hard qal not to pick up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They're looking so wonderful! And that linen is marvelous with them - like your design wall itself is auditioning as a setting for them. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristen your granny square blocks are SO wonderful! I love how bright and cheery they are - and I spot many of my own fabric favorites in there. I've been cutting random 2.5" squares, but that's as far as I've got. I'm itching to start sewing. Thanks also for the link to the discussion group about the outside corners -I've been wanting to do it that way and now it's all figured out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! The more I see of this block the more tempted I am to try them myself...I just may have to do that now after seeing yours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how happy! They're so bright and fun! I sashed mine and added setting stones. Made it a lot easier to quilt.

    Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. superfabulistic. I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your granny square blocks! I am itching to make some myself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your piecing and pressing is just perfect. Any special tips for this block?

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is looking great! Can't wait to see the finished quilt :)

    Love for you to share this at my Wednesday's "Made by ME" linky party here:
    http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2012/02/made-by-me-20-linky-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lots of Granny squares online this week. Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your granny squares!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make me so happy!
(Comment moderation enabled.)