January 19, 2012

Swoon or not to swoon?

I thought about a color charm combo for a Swoon quilt, for a day, but the thought of that many separate scraps to cut is too overwhelming for this girl. I really want to try this beautiful quilt pattern!

I really like this color combination of solids, Kona, Bella, Free Spirit, you name it, and Cherie by Masha D'Yans for Clothworks. There are 9 fat quarters

Swoon quilt?
fuzzy phone pic :(


and a tenth that I could fussy cut for the center of the star.

Swoon block centers?


My only problem is the background. The white FQs would disappear into the Kona white background. I could use a light pink background fabric, but I think the whole modern quilt design becomes way too girly?? Ash? I am tired of gray.

I could also cut the whole lot into solids/Cherie HSTs with about 5 or 6 improve log cabin blocks scattered about to frame the fussy cut prints. That would make me happy too.

That's my dilemma. That and how in the world do you cut and sew linen bias binding around curves!!?? I suppose I'll figure out the answer to that question tonight.


3 comments:

  1. How about chocolate for the background? Your fabric looks Valentine-y, and chocolates always go with Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moda Bella has a "pale pink" that I think would work... you could also do a cream. Or a linen would work... the different texture would be great.

    I've used wovens for a bias binding, as long as the weave isn't too loose, it should work well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could use a soft yellow as a background, and I would scrap the greens and do it all in the pink, white, and red. It would Look AWESOME! But that is just my opinion, it is your quilt, do as you want to. Love the fabric for the fuzzy cut centers. So CUTE! I haven't started my SWOON yet, do have the fabric though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make me so happy!
(Comment moderation enabled.)