January 27, 2012

Patchwork Potholder- Zakka Style

This is completed project number 3 this year. I'll always smile when I pull these out in the kitchen.

Potholders


Two of the potholders have cute and helpful pockets on the back to protect you from the oven. I figured only two since I would only have at most two hands in the oven at any time.


I used the book Zakka Style compiled by Rashida-Coleman. This particular pattern is from Kim at Retro Mama.

I did not sew the single fold bias ends together and instead folded the raw edge by a 1/4 inch. I tuck the other end, about 2 inches, into these folds. Then I sewed by machine and hand stitched the back.

Finished Bias Edge


You can't tell it wasn't sewn either.

Zakka Style Potholder


Anna pointed out Aneela's Sherbet Pips red dogs in this potholder/hotpad is her favorite. I used at least 1 novelty print in each.

I realize that my kids have found that the stiffness of the Insul-Bright batting and the linen is absolutely perfect for a game of indoor Frisbee. How cheeky, eh? These will be freely throw all over the house before they find their proper use looking beautiful in my kitchen.

I used the last of my linen from the big box store and it is time to graduate to some better 100% linen. I would love to hear what brands you use and who you buy from. I also wonder if anyone has blended a natural linen with Heather Ross's Far Far Away 2 and 3? I have both of some stashed away waiting for the perfect linen. I am itching to dip into it. Help?!

I am enjoying my time today visiting Amy, Sarah and Amanda Jean this week and finding what other finishes are out there.

28 comments:

  1. Love all the colors! Great way to bright up a kitchen. My kids, and hubby, do the same thing with the pot holders I made... to funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOH! I adore these!!! I may have to make some...although I absolutely hate anything with hand sewing..lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I adore this kind of project, and linen is one of my favourite fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these!! I also would have added a little loop on them so I could hang them in my kitchen for easy access. But if you store them in a drawer then that's not necessary :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these! The way the color pops w the linen is so beautiful! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE! These make me smile. I may just have to make some of my own. Thanks for sharing! Smiles~Beth

    ReplyDelete
  7. I. Love. These. I'm slowly re-working my kitchen so it's bright and colorful. I've started with bright Fiesta Ware. I have to make these (or similiar) b/c I cannot envision my kitchen without them. :)

    Yours are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the pot holders! Great colors and design.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these, as i love all the things you create. I would be bummed if i got an oven bake or lasagna on these thouhg (smile). miss you guys! -Becky

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute! The colors are just fab.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great addition to your kitchen! So lively!
    Whoop Whoop!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are just delightful, great colors and love the linen. Oh, kids!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kristen, these are so great! I can totally see how they could be fun as frisbees, too. :) I love the colors and the "scrappiness."

    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  14. You may have discovered next year's Christmas gifts for the kiddies... fabric frisbees! lol Love it! Super cute as potholders, too. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh man those would almost want to make me bake something. That or encourage another family member to bake and I would help get things out of the oven. So cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! I was just going to ask what linen you recommend. Hopefully you can post a recommendation in the future. I got that book for Christmas and have admired the photos but haven't made anything yet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. they turned out wonderfully. :) So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are flippin' awesome! I want (to make) some!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, I love these! They just look like happiness! The indoor frisbee idea is funny, and I'm sure that my kiddos would do the same thing. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. these are beautiful. I need to check out that book. Love the style.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fabulous! Love the retro look:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love these. I love the stripes. The bright colors. The variety within each color. Now I have to make some! (And, at my house, the kids would totally appropriate them for frisbees, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are lovely! Be sure to come back and tell us if you find a good linen -- I am also on the hunt for a good source :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. How amazing! It's no wonder they make you smile!! Whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. They look incredible! I started coasters a while back but couldn't figure out how to finish off my binding so I gave up. I'll have to try out your method, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make me so happy!
(Comment moderation enabled.)