October 14, 2011

Scaredy's Reading Quilt

The Scaredy Squirrel Reading Quilt is finally finished.

IMG_2550


The name is the first thing my kids called it and it stuck. We fell in love with the cute squirrel fabric. The Scaredy Squirrel series is one of our all-time favorites.

How can you not like this neurotic little fella?
Frolic by Wendy Slotbloom, Deer Valley and my favorite Wild Thyme fabrics were used to make it look boyish. 'I' think the flowers are boyish! No pink and pastels so we're good!

IMG_2553


It uses Amanda Jean's zigzag technique that uses rectangles instead of half square triangles. I love that. She can always think outside the box! It took me a weekend to piece. That seems to be a habit with me.  Quilt tops that are finished in a blink of an eye, but forever to quilt. I have a stack to go through.

The kids were given their quilt at *last* Christmas. It measures approximately 44" by 68" so they used it all winter at reading time. It's perfect for all three on the couch with an adult, and I gradually added the pick-stitching with perle cotton whenever I felt like it. I had already stitched in the ditch along the zig-zags with the sewing machine.

IMG_2555


Yup, I just wanted to get the quilt used and not left in the sewing room. It was thrown it in the dryer last night at 10. Which is the reason these pictures aren't the most stellar. I'll add my obligatory quilt zombie picture later this afternoon. 

My finger, the one under the quilt, is being nursed back to health. I hand quilted a good half of it this month. Is there a secret to not jabbing yourself? What kind of stitch size do you like? I am still undecided on the style of spacing I used- big stitches...little space between the stiches or both the same? My Kaliedoscope and Single Girl are calling to me next.

Can't wait to visit you all at Amy's Sew and Tell, Amanda Jean's Finish It Up Friday  and Sarah's Whoop Whoop Friday today and this weekend!

22 comments:

  1. It looks great! I love that zig zag pattern! The hand quilting looks fantastic, so nice and even and straight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how cute!! And I love your stitches. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a fun quilt! Love the zigzags and the fabrics. Your hand stitching looks so neat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your quilt, nice fabric choices and stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm doing Amandajean's zigzag quilt, too. I love yours--your fabric choices and the hand quilting. Nice.

    Followed your link at Crazy Mom Quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yippee for Scaredy Squirrel! I think you were buying some of that fabric when we met at the quilt shop, right? I love the zigzags and your quilting stitches are great. There are no rules, but I like the long stitch, small space, too. There's a really great book called Quilt and Embellish in one Step by Linda Potter that has some really cool ideas for perle cotton quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great quilt! And I absolutely love the name for it. lol Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's beautiful, Kristen! And the scraps that you sent me from the first time you posted about this quilt? They're in the process of becoming a beautiful quilt for our quilt ministry right now! Whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a great quilt, great theme, great purpose! So so sweet and I love the stitching you added!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so in love with your quilt - it's amasing

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! Great colors and technique.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such cute fabrics and nice hand quilting

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it! I think the zigzags are perfect for the fabric. Cute scaredy squirrel!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How incredibly cute! Fabulous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your quilts are fantastic! Never ever think about giving up sewing these wonders. We are so inspired by them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The quilt is fun, love it and the quilting. I use a quilting spoon on my underneath finger but it's not a secret. I don't think it matters abour perle quilting stitches, I've seen all kinds and they all look great.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love your finish!!! the hand quilting touch is wonderful! if you ever find out the secret to not stabbing yourself, please do let me know. i'd love some tips on that myself. :)

    thanks for linking up to finish it up Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have no solution for the finger under the quilt. I just give it a few days of healing and go read a good book. I MUST feel the needle so I have to live with the consequences!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I absolutely love it, and I'm not just saying that. I love that you hand quilted it, it makes it look so much more vintage (if that makes any sense).

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my! I'm in love with this quilt. The fabrics are awesome! I'm totally pinning this. ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make me so happy!
(Comment moderation enabled.)