September 27, 2011

OMG! What are you doing??

That's what I would have said if I had been there for this:


Anna's Sherbet Pips quilt has been waiting on batting and I finally was able to buy some this weekend. I picked up the quilt and its backing off the dining room and now I realize why my husband found Zoe walking around with some scissors last week.

This is what I get for making dinner. This is why I have zipped sewing bag within a zipped sewing bag. Why I have Ziploc container with all my machine feet, thread, bobbins and stuff with extra tape to hold it shut. Why my rotary cutter has a container that even I have trouble opening. Why I don't display any of my fabric on shelves. Why I don't have pretty couch pillows. Why the Featherweight went away again after being attacked by the seam ripper. Why quilts take freaking forever and then I am afraid to use them. This why I am really close to giving up blogging, creating, and sewing altogether for a really long time. So I sobbed for a half hour and maybe why I am sharing this is that maybe you don't think I am a weirdo... crying about snipped fabric.

I forgive her. She was trying to be like Mommy and probably singing a Zoe narrative song when she did it. "I cut. I cut fabric." At least it wasn't the whole quilt top, other than the border, any other favorite OOP fabric, my Cathedral Windows, or the long lost UFO blocks I just finished. I have replacement fabric and I'll find more backing at the store, so it's no big deal to fix.

It is a big deal for Anna. She made this herself. I am going to hide it from Anna, until she's older, and fix this during naptime. The two yards of backing looks like Swiss cheese so I am going to make up a story about how these dots for my Anna Dot were too small to fit after all. I need to preserve the sister love and all. Besides, one day they will make a great set of quilters. We will, however, hide the scissors better from Zoe until then.

18 comments:

  1. Oh no! I almost had the same prob in this house earlier in the week so I really feel for you, hope it fixes up ok

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also meant to say you are totally not weird I would have bawled! And please don't give up x

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sad!!! I would have been sobbing for longer than half an hour. Good for you for working on a solution!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have cried too. So glad it is fixable, but that doesn't help too much. Kids and scissors just don't mix. I haven't lost any quilts yet, but we've lost hair twice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your approach has been a good one. Cry first. Fix second. Conceal truth for later date third. Our lives as mothers all played out in one incident! Things might have been a little more, uhm, animated shall we say? in our house had this ever happened, I must admit. I am very impressed by your restraint. Does Zoe have a special basket of scraps that she is allowed to cut? I wonder if that might help prevent future swiss-cheesing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no! I'm glad you have fabric to fix it up. Things happen and not only to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, I feel for you, girl. And Zoe. I was the kid cutting with my mom's sewing shears when I was her age. I apparently "made" a cheerleader or hula skirt by cutting her favorite girdle (this was way back in the day) into vertical strips. I cut my own hair at age 3 (it wasn't pretty). I bet she'll be a super crafter some day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no, Kristen! I feel your pain. I would have sobbed for ages!!!! It's so hard keeping precious crafty things going with little 'helpers' around. I'm always feeling like giving up too, but I know how sad that would make me. So onwards! It will be a beautiful quilt one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Man! That is too bad but I think you are exactly right that your wee one was being you with the scissors! And that somehow makes it less awful. I like the idea of her having her own little basket, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I literally gasped when I saw the photo and figured out what it was of. I would have cried AND yelled. I absolutely love your attitude, though: realizing it could've been worse, and ultimately it's fixable. Hugs, mama.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh! I know that pain. I live in fear of this happening at our house too. You are a good momma with the right perspective. I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh no!! Glad you can fix it! My middle daughter did this to a dress I was making her when she was little. When I went back to the store to get more fabric to fix it, She looked at the lady who was about to cut the fabric and said, "Don't cut that!!!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel your pain and I'm glad you see it as fixable, this will be a quilt with a story and I'm sure Zoe thought she was quilting like mamma.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel for you. My 4 year old (just turned 21) son made me a wonderful, beautiful valentine and I lied and told him that the tears I was crying were "happy" tears because I liked the card so much. It was covered in the precious antique lace that I had been saving for so many years. I still have that card and now I just laugh about it, but only quietly to myself--I will probably never tell him about it since I know he would probably feel bad about it now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank goodness I didn't start quilting until my boys were older. Sew sorry. I took my mothers tracing wheel to my window sill when I was 5. That was 43 years ago. We were talking about it just the other day. It WILL get better over time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just came over to your blog from Amanda at Diary of a Quilter, she was so inspired by Anna's quilt top, that she made a blue one and linked her blog to yours. Then I wanted to check out your other posts, and see that top all cut up. I actually gasped out loud! So sorry this happened, glad you can fix it, and lets hope Anna doesn't find out. Maybe Zoe was just trying to be like her big sis, but hopefully she outgrows the cutting phase. We went through that too (only it was paper, not fabric!).

    ReplyDelete
  17. I distinctly remember being 4 or 5 years old, working with my mom on my first sewing project. My toddler-brother just had to try out my mom's brand-new-tiny-scissors. On my sewing project. It was just a snip or two, easily fixed with a tight zig-zag. We forgave him. Memorable, anyway, and it didn't stop me from sewing ... Decades later, I'm zipper-bagging and container-izing my own sewing projects to protect them from my own little helpers ...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make me so happy!
(Comment moderation enabled.)