August 10, 2011

WIP Wednesday: #5- The Cathedral Window Quilt

Since I have a lot of projects, this week I'll share the one I have made the most progress. My Cathedral Window Quilt has 111 windows completed. I originally had a goal of one a day, but now it seems I average exactly 1/2 window a day.

before:


after:


Three bottom blocks from the before picture are filed away, and I will more than likely pull them out this week. I finished the top right one this morning. I'll attach and fill in all the missing windows much later, as the 15 inch blocks fit perfectly in my storage cabinets.

The lower row has some earlier odd blocks, but that was before I realized I liked making 9 unit blocks. Right now it measures 45 by 45 inches and I need to add another row and column of blocks before I add a border. I'll add another single unit colored border and do some hand quilting on the edges to finish. It should end up being 70 inches square.

So here's hoping that I'll finish it this year.

On another note, does anyone have advice on applique needles? I use size 11 James John milliners and I always seem to tarnish them within the week or bend them. Is there ones that are stronger? Or do I need to buy in bulk! :)

This week's stats:
New projects - 0
Completed projects - 0
Currently in progress - 14

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

19 comments:

  1. Wow. Its really coming along!!!! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just beautiful! Keep plugging along and you'll be thrilled in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job, I will make one of those someday. I do have a pillow I started, just got busy doing other things instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That quilt is going to be very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is beautiful! I love seeing the before & after.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The windows are stunning!!! I just use quilting needles to applique - I find I have more control with the short needles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow.... I'm trying to say something clever but that quilt is going to be awesome. Simply awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's so impressive! One of these days I'll have the courage to make one of these for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm always impressed by cathedral windows & yours are absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. In my experience with applique needles is that you need to just buy them in bulk.

    One quirk of mine that really saves me with the chenille needles I quilt with is to wrap my tip of my thumb and the tip of my second finger (I wear my thimble on my middle finger) with what's called first aid tape --the generic type for me works the best. I started to do this to help me 'grip' my needles when my hands start to sweat and it just appears to help out in other areas as well.

    Good luck with the rest of your project. It looks gorgeous already

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those windows are SO impressive. I've always wanted to do some, never had the nerve to try. But you're inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I definitely think impressive is the right word here! Looks amazing! And I love the color scheme!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love, love, love your cathedral windows. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's looking truely gorgeous.

    Needles are not something I know much about, but I'd be very interested in hearing what you discover.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Black Gold Needles get really good reviews and are reccommended by a few teachers I know for applique. Kudos on the cathedral window quilt, I have *started* one myself and know how much work is involved. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW!!!! I love your quilt...lot of work in that one

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very pretty quilt! I need to pull mine out and work on it some more. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make me so happy!
(Comment moderation enabled.)