August 12, 2011

What I did this summer

My daughter and I have been working on a Sherbet Pip Quilt since this last Saturday. Here is the result of our efforts.

The Baby Sherbet Pip Quilt Zombie...

Baby Sherbet Pips Quilt Zombie

The Moda charm pack...

The Charm Pack

The layout...

The Layout

The favorite fabric...

Her Favorite Square

The in-action photos...

The Action Photo

The journal...

The Journal

The unexpected spot we love the most...

Unexpected spot of joy


This is a great beginner quilt since the top is made of one Sherbet Pip charm pack and some 3 by 5 inch rectangles so we didn't have to worry about lining up any corners. I just wanted to work on a quarter inch seam with her. Oops, we did add a row from some squares I cut from my Pips stash, because she thought it was too small.

I did the pinning and ironing and we sat two chairs side by side at the sewing machine together. She sewed that entire charm pack up by herself. I helped with the borders, as the quilt top was too bulky for her at that point. She said it reminded her of the American flag? It looks like three flavored ice cream to me.

I said 'freeze' a lot  so she wouldn't run over the pins. Some seams will hold better than others. I love that she ran to the other room and yelled to her Daddy, ' Look! Look what I made!'  Tear... I am seriously impressed.

We will send this to the quilters, *cough* Mommy, and it will hopefully be done before school starts in a couple of weeks.


Dear Anna,
This week has been sheer joy to spend with you. This is the best birthday that a Mommy could ever have. I love you so much.
Mom







14 comments:

  1. What a great post! Such a cute quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable quilt, and adorable girl :-) Made me happy to read about it, precious moments. Whoop Whoop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How precious! My little girl is now 28 & we *still* love to sew together! Darling quilt too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go, Anna! Beautiful quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw. This post made me smile. And look forward to sewing with my kiddo soon...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet project to do together - and I love the final result. I think it's one of my favorite Sherbet Pips quilts - the white really lightens it up. So sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! What a sweet time to spend together as mother and daughter. Nice Bonus is that a beautiful quilt came from it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love posts like these. A quilter in the making and time spent togethr having fun. I have to say the quilt is a real treat too. Make sure to show it again when it's quilted!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so inspiring! My daughters are 7 and 11 and can't sew at the machine without getting hugely frustrated.

    To Anna, well done! I think you are a great stitcher, your quilt top really made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK, as a mom of 13 and 16 year old girls this seriously made me tear up and I don't even know you or your daughter. Thank you for sharing this sweet, sweet post. I creeped over from Amy Smart's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, if you don't feel good about crying, I'll be happy to do it on your behalf!!! I don't even know you and I want to bawl. I know it isn't about being "mad"...just disappointed over the fact that the memory didn't turn out the way you wanted it to. Kids are kids...but their (usually charming) sense of exploration and experimentation and imitation can certainly be a challenge!!

    Perfect moms who have perfect kids AND perfect quilts just don't exist. They are only a myth. Promise. :-)

    Hang in there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww, love everything about this post. Mother/child time is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so awesome to see your daughter learning to quilt... and she did a beautiful job! I like the idea of using the 3 X 5 rectangles so no seams to line up.. as a newbie quilter I may have to try that myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that you're sewing with your daughter! I love making baby quilts as gifts, and some of my oldest daughter's first sewing projects were little pillows to go with my baby-quilt-gifts! Fun times. (Sometimes stretching-times for mom, but fun!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make me so happy!
(Comment moderation enabled.)