August 8, 2011

Garden Party HST Quilt

Having some Garden Party half square triangles leftover from my Single Girl quilt, I had to become creative.

Garden Part HSTs

I was originally going to use it for the border, but didn't like the look. There were too many for a pillow, but not enough for a quilt. I was inspired by a modern baby quilt at the little red hen and decided to showcase them on a solid.

Garden Party


I wanted to experiment with quilting something other than straight lines and went for some texture like her quilt did.

closeup of Garden Part Quilt


It took lots of thread! Mettler 642 is a perfect match for the Kona Coal. I just wiggled this quilt under my walking foot. It was fun and relaxing to just let the pattern happen. I stitched in the ditch around the 3 inch half square triangles.

Quilt Twins on my couch


It measures 44 inches by 64 inches and it sits next to the Single Girl quilt on my couch. I might take a break from the Kona coal, but it's great for kids with gray socks on the living room couch. I didn't think the seam from the backing would show too much, but I guess that is what happens with quilting on solids that close together! Any name suggestions for this quilt??

18 comments:

  1. how about ''diamonds from coal'' or ''diamonds in coal'' ? Love the simplicity of it and the quilting sounds like fun to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Love the coal and the bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! i am going to have to try this quilting method, because it looks amazing! even if it does take a lot of thread- i usually work with small quilts anyway ;) i love the colors with the coal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The back looks spectacular! I really like what you've done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely love it! The grey really helps brighten those colors. Sorry I can't be any help on the naming, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A name for your quilt doesn't come to mind but I can say that it reminds me of that certain richness of colour in the landscape when storm clouds have just rolled in ... just before the storm hits ... kind of the calm before the storm but more the "brightness before the storm" or "richness before the storm". I also like the diamonds and coal idea.

    Whatever you call it, it's darned pretty, especially beside your matching single girl quilt.

    You must be very proud and pleased! I wish they were both mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Next to Single Girl and covered with diamonds, why not Girl's Best Friend.
    Jo Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like your way of quilting that quilt -- I might have to try that sometime soon and I adore kona coal -- I don't think you need a break from that! If I had room, I'd probably buy an entire bolt =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a stunning touch to the back of the quilt. The whole thing is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this quilt! Sometimes we forget that just a simple line of blocks makes a great statement on a solid piece of fabric. You did a great job with this one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea! I really like your HST quilt! I'm not sure I can see the seam on the backing that you are talking about...did you press it open? I think that can help conceal it a bit (for next time). The two quilts look amazing together, Kristen!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the quilting you did! Gives it such great texture I just wanted to reach out in touch it! And what a great way to use up fabrics from another project!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm thing Shark Teeth! My mind works in mysterious ways.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it with the quilting and all that coal. It looks like a partner quilt to single girl. I'm pretty hopeless naming quilts, they all end up with foodie names more often than not, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  15. love the colors; love the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really love the dark background with these colors! Great vision!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your quilts! The triangles remind me of kite tails trailing behind the kite.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make me so happy!
(Comment moderation enabled.)