June 19, 2011

Stick A Fork In Me Sunday #3: Apricot Jam

I had a long week in the cooking department too. Thirty pints of apricot jam just got preserved for the year. It's the favorite of the kids and I like the fact it only has three ingredients and I know what they are. They keep on the shelf  for up to a year.


I bought the Complete Book of Home Preserving this last week. It's got some great recipes in it. I am going to try making some plum jam  for a friend since her tree is producing more than she know what to do with. My husband and I also bought a pressure canner for preserving tomatoes. We want to make our own salsa and can tomatoes so I am hoping this will allay any our fears about canning vegetables.

Here is how you make apricot jam and I hope you can enjoy that amazing off the tree taste like we do all year long.


Apricot Jam
Ingrediants:
1.5 kg of apricots
1.25 kg of sugar
3 Tbl. of lemon juice


Wash and then cut in half apricots.


Measure out 1/4 cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice and 1.25 kg of sugar.

Place all of the apricots in a large saucepan with about one-fourth of the sugar, 3 tablespoons of lemon juice and a 1/4 cup of water. Stir until sugar is dissolved . Boil on medium high until the apricots are soft and add the remainder of the sugar.


Boil over low heat for about 30 minutes to 1 hour. The jam should darken in color.


Check to see if the jam is done by doing a jell test. Put a spoonful on a plate let it cool in the fridge. If it jells, wrinkles when the plate is put on its side, it is ready to put in your pint jars. This recipe makes five pints.

Use a Water Bath Canning Process to preserve the jam for a year or refrigerate cooled sealed jars and eat within a few weeks.

In preserving any type of food for long periods of time, I would check the National Center for Home Food Preservation and Pick Your Own as great sites to get started and see if this is for you and get additional canning information.

Also, to all those father's out there, Happy Father's Day!! I thought this would give you a chuckle even though it has been out for a while on YouTube.

3 comments:

  1. My grandmother used to can jellies and preserves. I never learned how to do any of that. My mother didn't cook (still doesn't). Plum jelly/jam is one of my favorites. The apricot also looks yummy! Enjoy them for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favourite kind of jam! and I am jealous that you have ripe apricots already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So envious. Our apricots come from the shop and are never ripe until one moment when they become over ripe and mouldy. I think it's because they're picked under ripe and chilled for export. We do have other yummy fruits though, the strawberries have been excellent and the raspberries are my favourite. Just waiting for blackcurrants now to get some jam making done!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make me so happy!
(Comment moderation enabled.)