May 25, 2011

WIP #1 - Cathedral Window Quilt

This is my first Freshly Pieced WIP Wednesday so here goes... :)

I have made very good progress on my Cathedral Window quilt. It felt good to lay it all out on the floor instead of agonizing over each block and its window fabric individually. The most difficult part of this quilt is finding the time to make all the white background units on the machine.

IMG_1657

I made 81 units into 9 blocks, and I am working on the temporary basting by thread part.

IMG_1667

I don't use pins. I hope to baste all 9 by Friday to start the hand applique part. It will be nice to have a prepped block to instantly pull out and work on. The pieces between the blocks, the ones hanging off the block, will be added at a later time when the blocks are sewn together.

block1

I am debating adding units of Kona green all around the edges as a border. Any ideas on what your favorite color of green is with Meadowsweet?

Hopefully this quarter of the quilt will be done by summer. You can check out the tutorial for my method here if you're interested in this type of quilt.

I think I am suppose to make a list of my WIPs here. Yikes!

This week's stats:
New projects - 0
Completed projects - 0
Currently in progress - hmm... lots, but these are actively being worked on and you can see them on my new WIP page above!

Postage Stamp
American Jane Hexagons
Cathedral Window
Dresden Plate
Concrete Log Cabin- my goal is for this to be a top next week

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

I'll hopefully be more organized for WIP Wednesday next week. Thanks for visiting.

24 comments:

  1. Wow...your quilt is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks amazing. I can't wait to see what it looks like when it is done. The colors look so sharp too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, this is beautiful! BEAUTIFUL! A green border is perfect, but I wouldn't know colors well enough to make a suggestion.
    Your blog header is pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this quilt will be beautiful! I wanted to do a Cathedral windows, but it seems like so much work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful work! The colors are stunning and the work is amazing. Can't wait to see the finished quilt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Those cathedral windows will be stunning! This is at the top of my to try list, I'm thinking more along the lines of a pillow though...can't wait to see more of this masterpiece!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this is going to be so gorgeous! What a great idea to get it all set up so you can hand sew - will be a great summer car trip project I'm sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. these blocks are beautiful, how fun to see them peek through the window. And i did a second take when I read the Concrete Cabin quilt progress, I really can't wait to see what you've put together! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to see those windows finished! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this looks fab! I'd love to try Cathedral Windows, but they look so complicated!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Meadowsweet still makes me swoon! All I have left of my fat quarter pack is a pile of 10"squares. Your cathedral windows will be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kristen this is look so awesome! Thank for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  13. woah. totally in awe. I just did cathedral windows the other day and I got burnt out after 6 background units. Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE this SO MUCH!! I love your fabric choices, they are so bright and complement the white wonderfully! I can't wait to see the finished quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your quilt is going to be amazing! I really like the choices you've made for fabric and layout. GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow, your quilt is going to be absolutely GORGEOUS! I love cathedral windows, yours is going to be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is going to be fabulous! I so glad you did WIP Wed so I did not miss seeing this. Hand basting. Wow. You are a strong woman. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is going to be so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Heaven's, that quilt is going to knock my socks right off when it's done. Amazing progress!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You have made great fabric choices for your quilt and it is going to be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is going to be a stunning quilt once it's finished.

    From your WIP page... I like them all but I really like your Dresden plate quilt. Both the Cathedral Window and Dresden are on my bucket list of quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's so bright and cheery. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow,this is gorgeous. That's a lot of time and effort right there!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amazing!! Loving the texture from the colors. Can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make me so happy!
(Comment moderation enabled.)