May 3, 2011

My Hand Quilting Project: Day 3

This has to be quick since I have a half hour of naptime left and I need to use it!

I did however finish a lot these last few days and 'In Your Face Fuchsia' colored perle cotton is growing on me!


I basted alot and I am not regretting that. It really holds the layers together. If I had used pins I would have more shifting than I have now. I do not like having to stab stitch where the rings meet. That is the most difficult part of the process. Pushing the needle through 6 layers is not too fun. The negative space is the most relaxing part of the quilting.

I have been using a nifty tip to avoid lots of knotting and beginning threads. Double the thread length and bring the thread halfway through the fabric. I come back to the loose threads and continue in the opposite direction. It cuts down on the wear and tear on the perle cotton and saves time for quilting, not knotting.

Here's a link to a tutorial that describes how to hand quilt. I use the same method.


Anyway I though you might know what I was up to. Thanks for the encouraging words! Catch up with you later.

10 comments:

  1. Awesome quilt...love seeing your work in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! I love the bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it and I am glad you did it that way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is looking lovely! I can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Your quilting looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just fabulous! Love this quilt and all its glorious color!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely! this kind of stitching will really enhance the look of your quilt!

    i love handquilting! i used to do it all the time, but no longer since machine quilting entered my life. maybe i should pick it up again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This baby quilt is so pretty. I love the colors! And you are very brave to take on some hand quilting. Would you want to share something with us that you've made recently? ‎{Share the Love} link up party is starting tomorrow at mydomesticdesign.com! Please come link up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Breakfast is my favorite meal also!
    Your single girl quilt looks great!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make me so happy!
(Comment moderation enabled.)