May 28, 2011

A Morning at the Farm

I am thoroughly enjoying farm fresh produce!


I went to the local farm with a friend who had never been there before. This is what I ended up with! Well almost...The spinach/lettuce and the smaller apricots on the right are from my backyard. The type of apricots I like for jam are just not ready yet so I found some others at the farm for the kids to devour with their PBJs. I'll check next Saturday for sure.


I am still not convinced my mystery plant, aka Walmart Watermelon, from the compost will produce anything. A few blossoms fell off and did nothing. Anybody know what could be going on? There are plenty of ants and such ending up in the blossoms so they are getting pollinated. I think I need to wait. Is anyone sure these are watermelon? I do have some rogue tomato plants growing here from last year so I can always make room for those instead after enjoying these pretty yellow flowers.

Being in the middle of projects, I'll show you how I feel about my postage stamp quilt.


Doesn't it look like it goes on forever? - block number 3 out of 16 done.



I also basted my Cathedral Window blocks. That was boring, but worth it since I can just pull them out and have fun...play...applique.

On another note.... I am totally frustrated on another quilt! I have to pull out and take apart a crap load of HSTs going the wrong way. I almost cried about having to redo the points. I don't have a lot of HSTs in my quilts because I am too picky. The annoying part is was suppose to be the-easy-quilt, the-timeout-from-crazy-projects-quilt and now it has become I'm-not-showing-pictures-until-it's-done-quilt. Oh well! I think today I am going to take a break and actually read a book! Anybody know some good Sci-Fi books?

6 comments:

  1. Sci fi book The Hunger Games. Maybe that is more fantasy. I enjoyed it and it is a trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doomsday Book by Connie Willis. Time travel/historical fiction. Fabulous. As is her other novel Blackout.

    And hooray for farm fresh produce!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm no expert on watermelon, but those look a lot like squash blossoms to me. If they are squash blossoms (and don't take my word for it), they're edible (good stir-fried, etc.). Maybe something to do with the ones that fall off?

    Your postage stamp quilt is really looking nice, as are the cathedral windows--love those fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your HST frustrations! That's a bummer. The produce looks amazing and how lucky to grow apricots in your own backyard...wow! I've never seen a watermelon plant, but I agree with P. they do look like squash blossoms to me. Sorry, sci-fi is not my genre. Hope you find a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll second The Hunger Games - I just finished the trilogy and it's excellent!! It was the first book in a long time that I just couldn't put down - really hurt my productivity quilting!! And I love your postage stamp quilt - it's coming along very nicely!! Whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How big are the flowers? I think that watermelon, squash, pumpkins, and even cucumbers have similar looking flowers in varied sizes. Often several "male" flowers are produced in order to attract the bees before any "female" flowers are produced. Once a female flower is produced, you will be able to better tell what kind of plant it is as a miniature version of the fruit is at the base of the flower.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make me so happy!
(Comment moderation enabled.)