May 13, 2011

Blogger's Quilt Festival Spring 2011

I am excited to participate in the Quilt Blogger’s Quilt Festival again.
Amy's Creative Side | Bloggers' Quilt Festival

Being a busy mom of three, it makes it difficult to find the time to sew, let alone blog. I sew at night and, when I can, during naptime! You can see my WIP page if you care to check out my current projects. If you comment, I will be sure to visit your blog’s quilt this weekend!
 
My quilt for this weekend’s quilt festival is a Single Girl quilt. I whined in January about not having one from Pottery Barn as designed by Denyse Schmidt.  I came upon the Single Girl Quilt Along on Katy’s blog, I am a ginger monkey, and began to cut into my Garden Party and Katie Jump Rope fabrics.

Finished Single Girl Top

Along the way I was scared of the curves and constantly confused, but I learned so much!! The support group was fantastic on flickr and I would suggest to join a quilt along to anyone who is tentative about a quilting making project!

Before making the queen sized top, I made a baby sized version of it inspired by the quilt along button.


I didn’t think I was going to finish the quilting in time for the Blogger’s Quilt Festival, but I have a thing for self-imposed deadlines. I am so happy to be able to share it with you. Two weeks ago I basted this quilt and began to hand quilt it in DMC perle cotton 8 in color 718. Or what I like to call 'In Your Face Fuchsia'!


It measures 42 by 49 inches and uses Kona Coal and Anna Marie Horner’s Garden Party. I love the big stitches and it went along super fast using this pick-stitch method. If you haven’t tried hand quilting have a go with it and embellish your machine quilting!

Thanks for visiting!

43 comments:

  1. So beautiful! I love the Garden Party with the gray, it's so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another Denyse Schmidt quilt. I especially love the gray one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Your quilting turned out perfect, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it looks awesome!! im just working on some hand stitching myself...hope it works out as well as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, beautiful, and the quilting is absolutely stunning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful!! I just love both of these, but especially the small gray one. I think these turned out so amazingly, wow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your hand quilting is beautiful, Kristen! I wouldn't ever have thought of fuchsia thread but it's perfect on the gray background. I

    (I don't know if I'll have a quilt for the festival...that'd mean I'd have to finish something quick!...but if I do it'll be later on in the week.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your single girls are wonderful! I love the fuschia quilting, nice pop there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, wow! I love them both. And what I really love is seeing how different it looks with the different colored backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow I love this quilt, it's fab! The contrast in colours,, the handstitching, it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this one - the Kona Coal makes a wonderful foil for the bright prints!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That hand quilting rocks my socks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My second viewing of a Single Girl quilt. I love the one with the grey and the circular quilting is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks awesome on the bed, I love both versions and the fushia thread looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this pattern and your two quilts using it! Great fabrics and colors. Loke the quilting too. Thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely! I thing I even like the baby one more. I'm really into the grey backgrounds at the moment, and itching to make one myself. Thanks for the inspiration with your quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job. Love the Kona coal for the background. Its a great contrast to the rings of fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have seen so many single girl quilts online and yours is great. I actually like all of the parts that make a quilt, the fabric choices, the workmanship and the quilting - especially the concepts.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Curves are so dramatic! A lot of work, but I love them in quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  20. gorgeous, the grey background is a great colour choice

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous and gorgeous. LOVE these quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is an awesome quilt mate!
    Now to tackle the quilting on the big one!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the colors you chose. I keep seeing this quilt all over blogland and I'm about ready to throw in the towel and start one, current projects be darned! (Thanks for the extra inspiration.)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful quilt - your hand quilting is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Both the quilts look wonderful. So colourful! Love the hand quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You got it done and it looks incredible!! That pink hand quilting is really the icing on the cake..errr a... quilt! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  27. nice work Kristen!!! It's really striking... and of course I love the hand quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Absolutely stunning! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Really beautiful. Love the hand quilting! I have my templates cut out, just waiting on the perfect fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. wow! i am really impressed! that design is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I really, really love your hand quilting on this!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ya finished! Great job. I knew you could do it.

    ReplyDelete
  33. love your hand work.... best way ever to finish this beauty up!!! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  34. love the pop that gray provides. It's becoming my new favorite background.

    You can see my submission to the Blogger's Quilt Festival here: http://blog.petitdesignco.com/2011/05/bloggers-quilt-festival.html

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love the Garden Party with the gray! It is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  36. love this quilt - I love hearing a quilt has been hand quilted - wish I had the patience for it. I am always so frustrated w/the quilting process - I always under estimate how much time it takes to machine quilt ... I can only imagine hand quilting!! beautiful quilt

    ReplyDelete
  37. Pretty! Thinking about using Kona coal for the quilt I'm working on right now :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make me so happy!
(Comment moderation enabled.)