March 11, 2011

The Love Strip Quilt

I pieced and quilted this strip quilt within two days. I added the hand quilting and sewed the binding on, to be hand sewn to the back, within that same week. This was an absolute miracle with three kiddos. It has been resting on our couch in the loft for weeks until it was finally finished last weekend.

Thanks for all the well wishes. They warmed my heart.

The applique is raw edged and I managed to sew it to the top, with a quarter inch foot, before it was sandwiched.


I will be embroidering "all you need is love..." on one of the white strips on back. I'll get to that soon.


Again, this was super easy. I am not sure it needs a tutorial. I used 9 different quarter yard cuts for the top and half of a twin sized batting. The strips, increased in size by half inches, from 1.5 inches to 3.5. I didn't pick anything larger because I didn't want to quilt anything beyond quarter inch seams. The backing was pieced with what I had of L'Amour by Moda. I was happy that I used what I had on hand. I added the stitching by hand, ecru perle cotton, along the strips that were dark.


It measures about  42 by 70 inches, perfect for the couch. Anna said to me, "Mom... you make the best quilts." She gave me a big squeeze too. Aren't they the best?

If I do this again, I will square up smaller groups of strips since the entire quilt ended being a parallelogram. (The pieces migrated to the right or left.)


Anna was very excited about the Daddy-Daughter dance. Last night, we took the opportunity to take some pictures in front of our blooming apricot tree.


I will say that taking pictures of three little ones is like herding feral cats. This one is good, even if it is slightly out of focus. They were told to hug and Zoe is such a good listener.


I am adding this to Sarah's Friday, "Can I get a Whoop-Whoop?" linkup party.

13 comments:

  1. Your quilt looks great...and the children are sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your quilt, especially the embroidery you plan to do on the back. You have sweet little people too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is amazing, just love love this quilt and what cuties you have there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! I really like the LOVE on the front and your hand quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely LOVE quilt! Who wouldn't like to snuggle under that?

    Great pics of the kiddos too ~~~ feral cats indeed! LOL

    Whoop-whoop!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is beautiful! What a love-ly idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous quilt! LOVE it!
    Your kids are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great quilt. I'm a hand quilter. I'm working on a quilt that I'm going to hand and machine quilt. It's my whoop whoop post this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The hand stitching is such a nice touch on your pretty quilt. (And now, for some strange reason, I'm craving strawberries and chocolate...) :) Cute kiddos. They look like three sweetie pies but no doubt keep you hopping!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the look and simplicity of a strip quilt ~ yours is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely quilt! That chocolate coloured fabric was a nice touch and gives the quilt a lot of warmth.

    Cutest little kidlets and a great shot! When my three were that age I had a lot of trouble getting them together for a group shot. All the pictures ended up looking like they were lined up waiting for the firing squad! (Or constipated!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make me so happy!
(Comment moderation enabled.)