January 26, 2011

Pillow Party!

I sometimes I have a love/hate relationship, mostly love, with blogging sometimes. Seriously... the distractions are endless. Usually I end up reading some new blog and still having to look up whatever it was I originally went looking for online.  At the same time I would never complete some WIPs without the amazing people online to motivate a finish!  So here is my entry, very late, to this months Blogger's Pillow Party at Rachel's Stitched in Color.

Blogger's Pillow Party

The pillow started as an experiment with wonkiness.


I seem to enjoy precision and wanted to let go a bit.  I thought the star block would look great as a pillow and took the opportunity to practice hand quilting with perle cotton. I used a blue pen and marked the quilting at half inch intervals. That took a bit longer. I don't prewash fabrics and now it has a happy crinkle. It measures 20 inches.


A lot of stitchy presents in December provided plenty of distraction. So last weekend I added the binding and finished the back. If I get tired of it as a pillow I'll put it up as a wall hanging.  It's actually my first attempt at a pillow and I'll be making more soon. What do you think?

11 comments:

  1. Love your pillow and good idea of switching it out if you tire of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like the idea of pillow/wall hanging too. never thought of that! i love the red on the white. so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think all that hand stitching is incredible! And, yes, the wall hanging idea is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking pillow! Love the colours and am pretty darn impressed with your hand quilting! Your stitches look so neat and even!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think your hand stitching rocks the cas-bar!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is fabulous, of course! The hand quilting totally makes it for me, that and the pretty shade of red showing off on that white background!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your sashiko-style hand quilting is absolutely stunning and suits the star design so well. This is a beautiful cushion (and I'm not happy with non-control freak designs either vbg). You're brave to risk red and white without prewashing! I have the same distractions with the computer and blogging and often close the laptop down without remembering what I went on the internet for in the first place but having been on it for over an hour! Worth it though when I enjoy blogs like yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. so beautiful! Love the hand quilting.. totally takes it over the top!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your star is so cute and your hand quilting is gorgeous! I am very impressed. I would never have guessed that this was a first effort at a pillow.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make me so happy!
(Comment moderation enabled.)