January 18, 2011

Cathedral Window Quilt Block

I have finished another seven windows and I am woefully behind on my goal. I am going to double up for the next few days and I need to remind myself that having a cold does not help the creativity bug. I need to plan ahead for circumstances like that.

Cathedral Windows


The red threads are temporary threads to hold the edges down. The threads will be cut away and the edges will be opened to machine sew them to another block. I will resew them down more permanently later. My units are five inches and my window uses a 3 and 1/8 inch square of fabric.

I am planning to make a tutorial of my method. Anybody still interested? I also don't want to reinvent the wheel, but I don't see a detailed tutorial using my exact method. The prerequisites are hand applique skills and, for a decent size quilt, patience and time. Lots of those last two. A window takes a half hour.  This, in mommy translation, is one pbs show!

On reflecting on the past year, blogging and sewing, I may be able to select my style. If I had to name it it would be Modern Tradition: modern designer fabrics, but with traditional methods and blocks? I dunno, but I don't seem to be doing any free piecing. Sometimes the design has a twist. I just pulled out my red and aqua Dresden plate and I am playing with adding hexagons in the border!

I saw Quiltstory's block party


and thought of entering my cathedral window block. I am going to sew it to the last one and finish the remaining windows as a twenty by fifteen inch block. There are three categories: Modern, Traditional, and Creative. Any ideas what category this block, should go? Traditional? Should I try this?

11 comments:

  1. a cathedral window has always been on my 'to do' someday list - I would LOVE a tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice! i would say traditional. traditional with flair! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to see a tutorial with your method. Your windows are beautiful! It looks modern to me because of the fabric, although it's a traditional design. Tough call.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to see your method. This is a method I have found on another blog part one: http://alamodefabric.blogspot.com/2010/02/cathedral-window-easy-peasy.html part 2: http://alamodefabric.blogspot.com/2010/03/cathedral-windows-part-two.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too! Please a tutorial! I tried several methods but still think they are too complicated to do a lot of them (what I really liked to do).
    Best wishes
    Susanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interested! I'm doing a block now that has taken all day to do (well, plus chaffeuring kids, school, dishes, laundry...) it's called Jack's chain. I'm getting faster and I was also inspired by the block party to try a new block to enter!

    Yours is breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to your tutorial! I can't wait to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are stunning! I'd love to learn how to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes please, I need your tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am looking forward to your tutorial! I am still in awe everytime I see the cathedral window look. For the block party, i would suggest modern. If only there was a modern spin on a traditional pattern section.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love a tutorial! I did come across a picture heavy tutorial just the other day on cathedral window quilting and was wondering if you did yours that way. It was on a Japanese blog and done all by hand by the looks of the pics.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make me so happy!
(Comment moderation enabled.)