November 19, 2010

"Same old place. Same old nuts."

My zig-zag quilt top was completed in record time.


Last weekend, while Mr. Happy was away in Washington DC on a school trip, I spent long nights occupying myself by starting and finishing a quilt top. My kids are fans of the neurotic squirrel Scaredy.

Meet Scaredy here
The idea was to make a quilt to read books under this quilt during those cold winter nights. The kids call it the Scaredy Squirrel quilt. By the way, if you get one book for them this December, buy this book. Hilarious. Besides that he is the only squirrel I know that crafts and knits. Uh... and he came up with the title. Clever little creature.

The zig zag pattern is absolutely perfect for a beginning, no triangles just rectangles, and free at crazy mom quilts. I felt like a crazy mom finishing this top so quick! Wendy Slotboom Frolic line was used and PJs are going to be made with the leftover fabric for Christmas.


I recommend a spot where you can lay it out until it is done. I used the seam ripper more than once! She uses a solid in between rows so that will make it easier if you can't.

I also took a board dude cork board and covered it for Anna. Pottery Barn carries them for much more and this board at Walmart was $8. She picked the fabric and ribbon out of the stash. I added ribbon and sewed it down. Pictures or tickets can be slid behind it and little Zo-Zo won't get push pins in her mouth.  To make a plain one, without the ribbon, pick your favorite fat quarter and staple gun it behind the board.  Easy and useful fabric art.


As of September 4, I have finished 726 hexagons and counting. I hope putting them together is as fast! The Kona Colors for the background will be a off-white called Bone and I'll be using solids for the flower centers.  Does anyone have 2.5 inch squares of the the solid Pez? I need two or three of each for the border.


I finally finished quilting these coasters from last Christmas.



Umm... yeah... I need to get started on that. Any good ideas?

I would love to hear from you. Make sure to visit Amy's Sew and Tell this week and be inspired.

18 comments:

  1. Love the squirrel fabric! And WOW, that is a lot of hexies! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what color mono pez do you need? I might have enough to share.

    thanks for the book tip...putting it on hold at the library now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job. You've been busy. I will be looking for the book to have at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilt looks much easier than using triangles. I may have to give it a go. I love your color palate also! Um, that's a LOT of hexies, way to go! Have you seen the Fa La La La Felt book? I just got it and want to make ALL my gifts out of it this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scaredy Squirrel quilt is perfect!!! Way to go getting that done in record time. When Bryan used to travel for work and the kids were little I rarely slept in lieu of quilting at night.

    Sorry, no solid pez, only multicoloured on green background.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the zig-zag quilt! I've never read Scardy squirrel...I'll have to go look it up :)
    As for the hexes - I'm in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The squirrel fabric is too cute!! And the hexes...amazing! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. super cute fabric! I really like the quilt top and even if it was simple, it doesn't look like it! Also your hexagons are giving me a complex. lol! I am just starting off quilting and haven't moved past charm packs yet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! So much delicious quilty-ness going on at your house. Wonderful zig-zag quilt. The squirrel is pretty darn cute. :-) Always love seeing the pile of hexies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the way your quilt is coming out, very cute fabric! I might get the book for the school library. My kids are to big now but others cans till enjoy it. I've been working on Poochie Bags as gift bags for Christmas. I'm using Happy Zombie tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow you are getting so much done. that zig zag is fantastic. i love the squirrel fabric. i am going to have to educate myself on this scardey squirrel fellow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. your zig zag quilt is wonderful! Love that squirrel fabric... I think I need some!

    ReplyDelete
  13. many thoughts here...the quilt..amazing...no words. the hexagons...craziness with color perfection...the bulletin board, so simple and cute..the squirrel....nuttin' cuter then him....your work...crazy excited to see and drool over!!! love you, miss you! -Becky

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow you have been busy! Isn't it amazing the price that pottery barn charges for things? I am in hopes of making their lap desk before Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! I love the zig-zag quilt....I'm going to have to try that one. And, I love how it's being made to snuggle under while reading. Now, for the hexes!!! Oh my gosh! I am amazed! The cork board and coasters are great too. You really have been busy, busy, busy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Kristen ~ thanks for your kind comment my blog. Well done on the quilt top. I was just at Amanda Jean's blog for that very same pattern. BTW, My 3rd grader loves Scaredy Squirrel too. That fabric is quite a find.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the zig zag quilt top! It is so cute and fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make me so happy!
(Comment moderation enabled.)