October 8, 2010

Just Spooling Around

I miss you guys. It been soo long since I posted a finish. Anna started school and we have found our rhythm and routine.

I finished another mini quilt this week. Yippee! I am featuring one I finished last month and another that was finished this week. They have some red and aqua goodness and both will be added to the sewing room wall. It was a test to see if I could finish one in an acceptable amount of time for those swaps on flickr.

The first is for Em's Scrappy Happy Summer Challenge.

Scrappy coin quilt

Here goes the explanation of the process...

I finished the top in a week, then I stared at it for a while. How do I quilt this? Ok, let's baste this thing... Then vacationing on the East Coast on a beach or two provided a distraction for a few weeks... Then I quilted in the ditch and added a quarter inch seam. I put it on the pile of unfinished business, as I decided to find  the perfect quilting design.... It didn't happen so I came up with one that was original and me. On the plus side, the quilt pattern is great as a filler and random enough to make placement mistakes disappear.

Scrappy coin quilt

I took forever to bind the thing. It was my favorite activity, wouldn't you agree? Hah hah. I finally washed the thing and the backing and binding fabric ran. I washed it two more times on the handwash cycle, once with a Shout color catcher and the last to wash out any chemicals. Whew! I am done right?! Take a picture. Um.... Zoe dropped the camera on the floor, electronics are baby magnets, and I was without a camera for a month. I finally took a picture this week.Yes. I know it is autumn! :)

If something took that much effort, the result is so much sweeter. Isn't it?


The second is a hedgehog quilt. I used to have African Pygmy Hedgehogs as pets.


They are fierce and sweet! Spiky on their tops and soft furry little bellies underneath.

Hedgie quilt closeup

I saw Ana's photostream on Flickr and fell in love with her little guy. I could favorite her entire set of embroidery. I think she could make a book out of her zakka cuteness, but she is available to make these items on her etsy for you. I wanted to put him on my linen inspiration board, but then I thought of a more permanent use for him in a wall hanging for my room. She graciously allowed me to use him. Don't you love her bag?

♥ purse | cherry & hedgehog

I added a spool of thread and a border of red and aqua. I used the same happy flowers on this back ground too. An ideas on how to quilt over my embroidery here? It is still loose.

just spoolin around

My son says he wants this quilt. It will be in my craft room, but he has dibs on it when he is older. So sweet.

Hedgie quilt- "Just Spooling Around"

Let me know what you think. I would love to hear from you. Make sure to visit Amy's Sew and Tell this week and be inspired.

23 comments:

  1. The aqua and red Scrappy Summer Challenge quilt is so happy! Did you use embroidery floss to quilt it?

    The hedgehog is adorable! I can see why your son wants it. As for quilting amongst the embroidery, I'm clueless. Hopefully, someone will come along with a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It was quilted in DMC perle cotton size number 8 in colors 321 and 747. My stitched spool has those threads too. I used an embroidery needle with a bigger eye instead of a traditional quilting needle to quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love how you put those flowers on the border just adds the special touch that makes it pop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a serious crush on aqua and red! And I love your little hedgie!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I love your mini-quilts! Such beautiful stitching and colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my goodness these hedgies are too precious. i love the mini quilts and the bag is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh your projects are wonderful! I love the red handstitching - so, so cute! I'm totally inspired. And I can't believe you had your own hedgies! wow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely cute quilts! Love them all! Great work on the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all the red and aqua and hand quilting and hedgehogs! Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the hedgehogs, they are so adorable. I also love your summer challenge quilt, the colors are terrific.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love both these mini quilts!! The quilting in the first is beautiful and the second one is just plain cute! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both mini quilts are just wonderful! I just love your little quilted flowers!

    I too struggle with how to quilt embroideries...I'm showing an embroidered heart baby quilt this week-I quilted in the empty areas of the heart. I just didn't have the heart to quilt over the embroidery. With hand quilting I find it a little easier to avoid the embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those hedgehogs are sooo cute! (the real ones, but I like the sewn ones, too.) I love the aqua and red together. Seriously need to purchase some for myself. Great work! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The mini quilt is so gorgeous! Love the flowers around the edge! It's too too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi! i just noticed your adorable creations in my red and aqua love group on flickr!! they are both really really cute!! i love how you have done so much hand stitching on them. the flower designs are so sweet. I LOVE these!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh wow, your stuff is adorable! I love the mini quilt, too bad about the dye running. :(
    the hedgie is so stinking cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh, the hedgehogs are just too cute and everything you've had a picture of makes me go "oh, that's so sweet!"

    what a darling son you have! proud and creative, crafty momma!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are both so adrable. My only quilting idea is to do a simple stipple.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is all adorable. The flowers are a wonderful accent and the hedgehogs are just so cute!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the red and aqua combo. I think that I would have just cried when the colors ran; it is so good to see that you saved your quilt. Now I know what to do in case that happens! Your embroidery is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely as usual Kristen!! Those little quilties make me smile!!

    Blessings,

    KT

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for entering my giveaway! I am so loving these two quilts!
    Did you quilt the upper one by hand? The flowers look so GREAT! Really, I so love it!

    I did not even know that you could have hedgehogs as pets. Around here (Germany) they are just outside in the garden ... you can see them at night.
    Love the hedgehog quilt, too.
    Off to check out the rest of your blog ... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Both of those quilts are wonderful! I love the handstitching on the first one and the hedgehog mini is so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make me so happy!
(Comment moderation enabled.)