August 6, 2010

Simple Fabric Gift Bag

I made a bag yesterday for Anna out of some  Nicey Jane fabric I had left over from the two sundresses I made the girls. I would have used a button and a loop, but she knew where the ribbon was.


P8050329


Before I put the handles and ribbon on, I got to thinking it might be a fun gift bag too like this. I like to call it the "good stuff bag".

P8030312

All you need is two 12" by 24" pieces of fabric. You may iron some fusible interfacing like pellon onto the fabric, to make it stiffer, but the directions are the same. Make your bag a bit shorter in height and I bet you can use a fat quarter which are usually 18" by 22". (You can vary the size, just fold the fabric in half to see the length and width of the finished bag.)

P8030298

Face them right sides together and sew the shorter ends together.

P8030300

Take this really big tube and lie the sewn edges together.

P8030301

Sew the sides shut except for a three inch opening.

P8030303

If you are super smart and you are using two coordinating fabrics, make sure this opening is on your lining fabric.

P8030305

Grab the fabric and turn this completely inside out. Place one of the fabrics inside the other to make your bag.

P8030306

Turn the edges of your quarter inch seam, iron them, and edge stitch the opening close.

P8030308

Add a handle and some ribbon for ties. See this handle tutorial here. (I used medium interfacing instead of the batting.) Or drop the handles. You could use velcro and make it small enough to make it a fashionable wipes and diaper cover for your diaper bag so you can sneak incognito to the bathroom at a restaurant with your babe. The best part is there are no unfinished seams and need for a serger. For all you missing out on serger fun like me.

Enjoy your good stuff bag/hand bag/clutch/baby wipes cover/thing!

This is incidentally a long overdue explanation of how I finished this linen bag in one of my first Sew and Tell posts. (The two pieces of fabric I used here were 9 1/2" by 24 1/2".) Click here to see.

Simple Linen Gingham Bag


 Be sure to visit some super creative people at Sew and Tell  too.

16 comments:

  1. great minds think alike!! I was wondering about putting a handle on it myself - LOVE that Nicey Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect! Just what I was looking for..a simple bag for my daughter! Love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work. I'm sure your daughter just loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really cute! The flower print one is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love this cute and easy bag! Thanks for the tute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tutorial on this! So easy and yes it would make a great gift bag. I love that Nicey jane print. I have some in my stash waiting fortheperfect project! Really like the linen bag with the blue stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your comment...sophistication was what I was going for! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet! I used a similar pattern to teach a group of ladies some fundamentals of sewing (except we "boxed" the bottom of the bag). They started out making tote bags, then advanced to a lined clutch. We used fleece (just the regular stuff, not fusible) instead of interfacing to give the clutch bag some "presence"!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely bag. Oh, and I haven't forgot the Dresden Plate border Kristen. I hope to get it sent out to you on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this pattern! I fell in love with it when I saw your gingham bag and have had it on my list of things to make ever since! Time to cut some fabric I think!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice! I love fabric gift bags. I keep saying I'm going to stitch some up to have around, but always seem to wait until the last minute. You've inspired me to get going on that! Stopping by from Sew&Tell. Thanks for sharing. Happy Sewing! :o)

    www.seamsinspired.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the blue thread on the second one, such a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful bag...I love the style and the fabric you used!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute bags - I love that white with blue floral fabric.


    Thanks for your kind comment on my feathers. To answer your question - yes, I do get to keep my magazine quilts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely job,the color is beautiful. I am sure your daughter will love it.
    I want to invite you to visit my blog, and I hope you like it as much as I love your blog.

    Love,


    -Samya ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make me so happy!
(Comment moderation enabled.)