July 8, 2010

So yummy!

"Hey batta batta batta hey batta batta batta SWING batta!"


If you have zucchini in the garden and you need to figure out what to do with them here is THE recipe. I've tried others but the in-law's is the best. My pictures of food never come out very good so I'll hope you've enjoyed the silly picture of Andrew last year with the zucchini goodness.

Yeah, zucchini are a dollar at the farm, but, being that big, they not good for anything but bread.

In-Law's Zucchini Bread

4 cups coarsely shredded zucchini
3 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
4 eggs beaten
1 Tbl plus 1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbl ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Heat oven to 325. Grease bottom of pan of 2 loaf pans and coat with flour. 9 by 5 by 3 inches. Blend all ingredients. You can use a wooden spoon or a blender on medium for 1 minute. Pour into pans. Bake until top starts to brown or bake until tooth pick inserted into center comes out clean, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Cool for 10 minutes and remove from pan.

You can reduce the sugar a bit and add more zucchini. The taste is about the same. "Cupcakes" work too!  I tell the kids they are cupcakes and they love them! It's magic! Dessert! It might be the amount of sugar in them too or the fact you have them in cupcake wrapper. I also love recipes where you dump the ingredients into bowl, mix and put it into a pan.

So easy! Enjoy your summer crop in something other than stir-fry! :)

5 comments:

  1. we make stuffed zucchini when ours get this big. :)

    yummy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe, I was going to try substituting courgette for carrot in a carrot cake recipe but yours sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely thanks for the recipe--it's a lower-sugar, higher-zucchini one than the one I'd been using. My big kid (husband) haaates zucchini, but loves the "spice muffins" I made with our CSA zucchinis last week. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never tried Zucchini bread. Sounds yum, I'll have to give it a go! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks, my mom is giving me some next week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make me so happy!
(Comment moderation enabled.)