June 29, 2010

Week 9ish: Dresden Plate Party

I think I am on week ten, but who's counting now. You must be bored of this, but I learned a few things this last week.

I stayed up until 10:30 last night and pieced all the strips in an hour. I thought it would take so much longer, but minus the child interruption factor it was quick! I think I will stay up more to quilt.

I can take decent pictures at night, because there is a menu item called color preview. All of these were taken late last night.

You need a numbering system to work on this many strips (check the pins).


Lots of pictures always help to keep things in order. I wanted the red and aqua not to be concentrated in on area of the quilt and some motifs had an up and a down.


I shocked myself when I saw how many polka dots I have added to this quilt!


I realized that a scant 1/4 inch is very important. If you are off  by 1/32" 18 times that is a half an inch! I averaged a 1/4" or more loss every 9 blocks. I will have pick some two or three squares and make a very scant 1/4" with them to compensate for this loss. I don't think anyone will notice. I did half my strips until I noticed this. Opps...

I still don't know what to do for a border. Dark represents red and aqua and light blue white. I thought a couple of dollar fat quarters were easier to sacrifice that the real goods.

Choice A: I used my Dresden template for these trapezoids. They can be longer like this quilt.


Choice B: Using the largest measures, I took my Dresden plate ruler and made stubby plates. I wanted it too look like this border here.


Choice C: This is the traditonal ice cream cone border using a EZ template for 45 degree petals. I am not sure it complements the points of my Dresdens. I am kinda heart broken. There is not one tutorial on this on the internet. Yes, there are some generic templates, but that's about it.


Choice D: Isosceles triangles.




I think I like choice A from my Dresden plate ruler. I'll have to play with it until I find the sweet spot that will give me a good look for my pieced border. I can see how no one uses pieced borders anymore. The math is off the hook!

Now I will ask the audience. If you read all of this could you take the survey? What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. That red and aqua Dresden quilt is going to be just stunning! I like Choice A or B the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like choice B best, I think it echos the design. I've voted :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make me so happy!
(Comment moderation enabled.)