June 8, 2010

Week 7: Dresden Plate Party

It was 110 yesterday and that is just hot! I'm sweating in the dining room and laundry room since there is only one air vent in each of them. That does makes sense in the overall design of the house, but not when the rooms are my designated sewing areas! Oh well... My plants have been reacting well in the back yard and I am waiting to go to the local farm this weekend to buy pounds and pounds of apricots to make jam. Can't wait. *drool*

I finished my blue Dresden plate.

P6081046

I'm going to take a break from applique and work on the layout for the red and aqua. Welcome to the design wall of my bed.

P6081047

P6081051

I think the the second one looks less busy. I leaning towards picking that one. What do you think?

On another note, I have been pretty discouraged by looking at many instant quilts. I think some people must have a maid and some ghost staff making some of these quilts. Do you feel this way? Don't get me wrong, I love what I see, but I am keeping it real here! Kids at home keep me super busy. I wrote this during Sesame Street! I like biking or jumping in the sprinkler better than a finished project. I think my tops will be pieced by the end of the summer, but hand quilted this winter. Do you sometimes not blog just because your quilt/project is unfinished?

I took the process pledge, because I like the process as much as the final result.

I have been working on some small projects and will share them later this week. I finally designed something original! It's Lecien AND red and aqua! Woohoo!

Linkup here or join the group on flickr. Incomplete quilts welcome!

11 comments:

  1. I really like the second layout...I think you are right that it seems less busy. I agree with keeping it real. I am not getting a lot of fully finished projects right now, especially because it takes me a lot less time at one sitting to work on piecing a block than quilting. Definitely avoid the blogging when I don't have a finished project, thus i had a long hiatus. I finally decided that showing a little is better than nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely the second layout for me too. I know what you mean about the process, for me it's not about churning out instant/quick quilts - that's why there aren't many "finishes" on my blog! Need to look at that process pledge thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Second layout for me, too. Definitely keep it real sister. There are several blogging quilters who have no small children, or are retired and work at it full time. Take heart - any finished project for a busy mommy is a triumph!! Love your dresdens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the second one too.

    I just do small projects. And I so wish I had started quilting before kids. :)

    Your dresdens are awesome, and the fabrics in that red and aqua are spectacular. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Count me in for the second layout, too.

    It is certainly not just you who wonders how people get so much accomplished. I am envious and really curious about them. Do they have day jobs? Do they have kids? If they have both, do they not sleep? I know I'm a relatively slow crafter, but come on! Some of these folks quilt rings around me! I work some evenings and weekends, so it's rare that I get more than a couple of hours to work on anything.

    Ah well, slow and steady wins the race. Or something. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the second one. It's going to be so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the second as well. I think that it is pretty impressive that you have all these blocks done! I feel like it takes forever to finish any projects.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristen, please take me off your linky. I'm following the Dresdens, but not participating. Sounds silly, but I mixed up your linky with the way you have to sign your comments on typepad blogs.

    Anyway, I love your blue Dresden! Yummy! As for the aqua and red Dresdens, I agree, your second layout is a bit more appealing.

    I know what you mean about people who are very fast with their quilting. It's awesome, but it's not me. I enjoy the process, and so I don't push myself to make quilts as fast as possible. I like the luxury of going out on tangents. :-) I haven't taken the process pledge, yet since I've read, I find I am blogging more about the process, and I'm also enjoying reading the blogs of those who do as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the second layout.

    I totally get what you are saying. And that's why I can say again w/o guilt that the Dresdens have sat for about a month or maybe even more now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. second lay out. the first one takes away from your dresdens. i LOVE the red/aqua. cant wait to see it done! im digging through stash trying to find more reds and aquas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love all the dresdens...and I also like the same layout better...much more pleasing to the eye!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make me so happy!
(Comment moderation enabled.)