June 11, 2010

Sew and Tell- Laptop Cover

My little babe seems to think a computer mouse are pacifiers as well as anything in my computer's data ports. I'm on my second mouse. The last straw was last week when, in a 20-30 second interval, she grabbed the embroidery scissors and scratched the closed laptop. This is not her usual behavior, but it made a nice 'fingernails scratching the blackboard' sound. I wasn't too mad since I was the one who left it out, right?

P6101055

Using My Folklore by Lecien, I made a laptop cover. The outside is durable Osnaburg.

P6101054

Huh? Osnaburg replicates linen without the price tag and gives the look of being made with flax like linen. I like the look of it. I added some aqua and red accents. Rick rack for a button loop and a polka dot mushroom.

Mushroom Applique

I used Lite Steam-A-Seam for the raw edged applique and then added a button hole embroidery stitch to border the baby mushroom.

If you get bored of one side it is reversible and doesn't need binding of any type! Bonus. And it is about an inch or two wider than the laptop so I could slip my mouse and charger inside.

P6101058

Here is the phone cover I made to test my thoughts.

P6111066

I won't be able to hear my phone ring, but when the kids play with the phone, this one may have a chance when they drop it on the floor. Any ideas on where to get the perfect mushroom button for it?

There is no tutorial that I used, I just played around with the idea until it worked. It felt like a topology project! I am making a rotary cutter cover next, with a loop, to hide it up high on the wall out of reach for good! Zoe moved the kitchen stool to reach my dinner plate last night. She now says, "so sad, so sad", when she can't get what she wants. Chairs and drawers in my sewing room will be her next adventure.

Remember to go visit Sew and Tell. There are more talented and crafty people than me out there.


p.s. I read this again and though you might be worried. I currently keep the rotary cover in a plastic Walmart tea container in a shoe box in the drawer of my sewing cabinet. I just want it to to be Mommy accessible too!

17 comments:

  1. That's a sweet project! Over a cup of tea the other day I was doing the inside-out, upside down mental mind-twist of trying to figure out a lined rotary cutter holder that had no visible seams....your laptop cover is the bees knees! I'll need one for our summer trip to the cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful idea! That ought to take care of the problem for a little while. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are so great. i love the fabrics you used

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That is way too cute. Great job! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it! And for a good cause! Your poor lappy. :( whoops!

    I guess we live and we learn, huh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so cute and practical, and I love the wavy quilting you did on them! The mushroom is icing on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice cases! I love your fabrics:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. way cute!

    (I think noodlehead or someone had a link to a sew buzzy or something that has cute little buttons and charms like that). :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. (I forgot to say I can relate to the destructive baby!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice case! Using the spotted fabric for the mushroom is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both are nice pieces, beautiful but functional.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice.

    For matching buttons, check out Etsy.com. A quick search turned up several :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute! I love the Lecien print..And the osnaburg, LOL I've got about 5 yards of it stockpiled right now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. love that cute little mushroom! adorable

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post! Very creative! Thanks for the visit and comment!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Friday and Saturday finishes are great! And the farm market bounty is definitely a special bonus. It sounds like you have some busy little hands occupying your heart and your time. What a treasure. Child-proofing is a challenge, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful laptop cover and phone pocket. I love the quilting on the phone pocket. Gives it a little extra "wow".

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make me so happy!
(Comment moderation enabled.)