June 25, 2010

I'm back!

What a week! I need to definitely say thanks to PC Touch who did a fabulous job on my computer. Apparently, one too many drops from the living room coffee table is not good! They replaced the entire hard drive and it looks like they saved everything. And... it didn't cost a fortune! *happy dance* (I am not sure what that looks like, but I'm thinking Snoopy.)

I realized I spend way too much time on the computer and need to schedule my time more efficiently. I know you know what I mean. I waste a lot of time that needs to be spent otherwise. I really enjoyed this break, because writing is not my strength and it takes real effort to write my posts. I can spot any literary device a mile a way, but can't seem to see my own fragments and run-ons. Damn it Jim, I'm an math geek, not a writer...

I will have a little celebration on Monday and I am going to pay it forward to all of you who still come and visit, even while I am not even writing posts. This will be good trust me! I won some giveaways and I will share them with you. You'll see what I mean.


This is what I am sharing for Sew and Tell this week. My Cathedral window mini quilt has been a UFO for years. I originally intended it to be crib size, but life got in the way. I actually remember planning the random square placement in the last few weeks of school. It is pre-children! You do the math. It has been weighing on me every time I opened that Rubbermaid container. I got brave, last week at 9 pm at night, and I started to rip out a long hand stitched seam to rotate each piece make it almost square.

Adding the last few pieces...

I added a row to the top and bottom and here you go.

Finished Cathedral Mini

All of it was hand stitched and appliqued except for the original white units. My original pieces of fabric  measured 7 1/2" square. Each window pane was made from a 2" square. The finished result is about 20" by 20".

Close up of Cathedral Mini

What I realized though out this is, "Just do it!"  It doesn't have to be perfect and the quilt police won't come after you. You'll feel better that it is done and less worried about the small stuff. I remember being very particular and so critical. This time, I just stitched. It was fun and I enjoyed it a lot more. I also learned your hand stitching and applique do get better and faster over time.  And... the chocolate spot on the back adds character.

If you see an expensive cathedral window quilt, don't quibble about the price.  Pay it. Whoever made it spent years and years making it. What a newbie I was. I thought it would be easy since it didn't have batting or hand quilting in it! Laugh, if you must. I am not sure how long a full sized quilt would take. Oh my!

I also learned I want to make another one day. Uh-oh... Kona snow and patriotic colors. Someone stop me please! :)

Can you see why it is called a cathedral window quilt?

Is this why they call it a Cathedral Window Quilt?

Light through Cathedral Window Mini Quilt

I love how you can see the opened seams.

Since I've been a bad bloggy friend I am off to visit you today. I'll try to answer all those old emails during naptime today!

The rest of you make sure to visit  Sew and Tell. There are more talented and crafty people than me out there.

17 comments:

  1. That is gorgeous. I'm so glad that you finished it! It is such a sense of accomplishement, especially when it has been hanging around for a looooong time. I have been considering making a cathedral window piece because it is so pretty, but all of the hand work is daunting to me. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! It really is great to finish a long-awaiting UFO and I love your realizations that things do not have to be perfect - it's the journey, not the destination, right? It looks absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful! Since I don't quilt, I can't quite wrap my ahead around how you do this, but I love the look of this quilt. Thanks for sharing. Happy Sewing! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMGracious daisies this is incredible! How awesomely lovely. You win Friday Finish! Hands down! lol

    This was such a funny post. As a Bones fan, I love it!

    Glad you're back and that it didn't cost a fortune. I'll play Woodstock and dance along with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous! I mean it! It looks incredibly hard to do:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! And thanks for adding the tutorial. I've wanted to know how it was done for years--ever since a dear friend who has since passed away made one for me. No amount of looking at the finished product reveals the secrets.

    Way to go on getting this older UFO done. I'd say it was worth the wait. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, that is so pretty! I've often wondered how those are made, so I'll be checking out the tutorial you linked. Good for you for finishing it up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilt turned out gorgeous! It looks great naturally but even more amazing with the light shining through.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! I'm very impressed...this is not a pattern I want to do-way too finicky for me!Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have always adored cathedral window quilts. Yours is especially beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How amazing is this! Wow you did such an amazing job on this. You should give yourself a large pat on the back. This is on my "must make" list. A little closer to the top then I would like. Would it be ok if I get advise from you when needed?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Please excuse me while I wipe the DROOL FROM MY CHIN!!!!! Wowsers!!! I love the look, but will have to wait to try one until life gives me more free time!!!

    Great Job!!

    Blessings,

    KT

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow thats amazing and I know exactly what you mean about spending way too much time on the computor. I am only new to this blogging business and last week it almost took over my life so next week i will spend more time sewing and less time staring at the screen.A great achievement for you this week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a gorgeous quilt - I love your choice of batiks for the centers.

    And just so you know your obscure little comment didn't pass by unnoticed, I will add, "Are you out of your Vulcan mind?" ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was worth the wait. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make me so happy!
(Comment moderation enabled.)