April 16, 2010

Dresden Plate Love

Someone asked me where I learned all this stuff and I realized I am mostly self taught. I read books, blogs and constantly are on Flickr to get inspiration.

The last few weeks on Sew and Tell I have seen a few interpretations of a Dresden plate block and knew I had to make one. You all come up with great stuff! I want to make it all. 

Amy had one as well as Tara and someone else had beautiful 4 block wallhanging (sorry let me know who this was- the linky expired).

So impulsively, I bought a random book of applique, just love the poinsetta and lazy susans, and an 18 degree ruler from the same place.

First, does anyone know what the traditional rules are for this block? My block is 18 inches and my "petals" are 7 inches. I like the center circle to be small, 3 1/2 inches, but then some are large. All of them are beautiful. Flickr has wonderful examples of this stuff. I want to add some of my usual two and half inch squares as sashing to it.

Dresden plate

Second, Moda Bake Shop also has a "to die for" tut. I pretty much followed the directions except for some basting with my sewing machine set to the largest stitch setting.

Dresden plate

I also used freezer paper halfway through hand appliqueing the center. The circle didn't hold its shape after being ironed around the template.

Maybe I should have starched it? Used more stitches?

Dresden plate

Then, I hand appliqued everything down with 50 wt thread. I used white. Wrong choice? Anyway, it doesn't show up on the blue. As for the red, I had to be careful. It took me two afternoons, and not including the crazy afternoon in my last post. I am definitely, going to dig into my 30s repros to try some more. I am in love!

Well, I'm in love, except for the hand pain that is now giving me Atari thumb deja vu. LOL

So go visit Sew and Tell. There are more talented and crafty people than me out there.

31 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! Found you on Flickr!
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you did it! I had a quilt like this that my mom made when I was a kid (made around 1961). She did it in scrap fabrics with a red center and red sashing between the blocks. The dimensions were similar to yours except the petals were a little shorter, but it had a smallish center like yours does. In any case, your block is gorgeous, and I love the red and turquoise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You SHOULD be in love with that pattern and the fabrics you used. I especially love the surprise sheep on that one fabric. This block is really so so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Dresden Plates and yours is beautiful! I'll be eager to see your next installment. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crazy awesome fabrics. How many are you doing?
    I have 21 finished plates from the 40's and maybe I will get around to hand appliquing them to fabric sqaures. Great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore the traditional quilting patterns such as this. Your choice of more contemporary colors and fabrics really makes it extra special! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful!!!! I don't think that there are any "rules". I think that old time quilters made what they liked even if they didn't have a pattern. Much like us "Modern Quilters"!! Love the blocks!

    Blessings,

    KT

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Dresden Plate quilts! So many lovely fabrics to see!! Yours especially has great fabric combo's.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YOur block looks great from here! You mention "traditional rules"....I don't think there's any right or wrong in quilting! That's why I love it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love is definitely the correct word for your dresden applique. What vibrant colors and patterns. Did you use needle turn applique on the ends of your dresden? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great modern dresdan! I love red and turquoise.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! that is fantastic! My mom just gave me a vintage dresden plate quilt made out of feed sacks, I think. I LOVE it! I like the circle bigger & the petals short & fat. I am SO loving the red/turquoise combo lately, so I obvs. loved your colors on that one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's gorgeous! You've got such an eye for colour~

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is really gorgeous! Great job! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, those are so fun! Thanks for the sweet comments on my tie tutorial :) Fun blog you have here, I'll be back!
    -Jill

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow that looks so fab! I absolutely love the fabrics, love love! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks great! The Dresden plate is definitely on my to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Kristen! I am now addicted to your blog! I just finished reading all your old posts. Sarah told me about it and even though I don't sew I love reading about you sewing! I have cross-stitched at times but haven't done any recently. I usually framed my cross-stitch projects, but love the way you use yours to decorate your sewing creations. Your kids are beautiful. Please pass along my best to your mom. Pat (Foley) now McEachen

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow...your dresdant plate looks beautiful...i love the colours

    ReplyDelete
  20. we love the color combo - we'd be honored to spot .light this GOODNESS TO MAKE !

    ReplyDelete
  21. your block looks amazing! and you appliqued it by hand! Wow! it is great to see traditional design with a modern taken, great fabric!
    thanks for visiting me
    Happy quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  22. O.
    M.
    G.

    I'll trade you my Ikea for your block!!! I love, love, love Dresden Plate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kristen, your dresden plate block is amazing! I love the red and aqua combination. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is one gorgeous Dresden plate! Red and aqua is probably my most favorite color combo and your fabrics are great!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Kristen,

    Thanks for visiting my sew and tell! Your plates are absolutely gorgeous!!!! That aqua and red combo is breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this! The red and aqua is great!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Aqua and red are so beautiful together. I love your dresden plate. You did such a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make me so happy!
(Comment moderation enabled.)