March 26, 2010

Linen Sewing Basket Tutorial

Linen Zakka Inspired Basket

I love these little baskets. They're multiplying around the house like bunnies. There is one for each  project I have going. I think I need more!! They hold embroidery thread, rotary cutters, or pincushions perfectly. Let me know if you make one and I'll link to it.

First, you will need a 10 in by 12 in piece of thin cotton batting, your choice of fabric and a medium weight piece of linen. To get the stiffness you need, use 100% linen, not a blend. Cut two 8 in by 1 1/4 in pieces from your linen and fabric you have chosen.  Medium rick rack and floss is needed to create the decorative trim. (I used Amy Butler Love Sun Spots in Olive.)
P3250598
Cut out 3 inch squares from the corners of all of the 10 by 12 in pieces.Cut Fabric
Sew the linen together along the edges made by the square cuts. Lay the batting and the fabric, facing right side up, on top of each other. Sew the lining together with fabric inside the fold. Back stitch the beginning and end of each seam.
P3250607
You should have two inside out baskets.  Finger press the linen right side out.

Make a line, with marking pencil one inch from bottom to guide the placement of the rick rack. I like the look of hand stitching, but you could attach this by machine. Carefully open one of the seams to insert the rick rack and sew shut when finished. Trim rick rack.
P3260609
Next up, is the handles. Sew right sides together with a quarter inch seam. Sew one of the ends close.
Handle
Get out your number two pencil, open your test booklets, just kidding, and push the handle right side out.
P3250602
Cut off the closed end. Finger press along the grain and press these with steam like crazy. They will be very wrinkly at first!
Handle
Baste your the handles to the basket. My finished handles were 5 inches long, and 1.5 inches within the basket, for the handles to stay upright.
Handles basted
Next, cut your interfacing. I've found that Pellon heavy weight interfacing works the best. Cut one piece 11 1/2 by 3 1/2 and the other piece 9 1/2 in by 5 1/2. Yes, these are shorter for the 1/4 seam allowances.
Interfacing
Center them and sew together.
Interfacing Sewn
Next place the linen basket into the lining inside out. Tuck the handles inside.
Getting ready to pin
Pin together. Leave one of the longer sides open. Sew together making sure the seams alternate and are not on top of each other. Leave about a 5 inch opening. I cut all the batting close to the seams to remove bulk. This is especially helpful for crisp corners.
Pinned Basket
Turn inside out through this opening. Fold the interfacing flat and insert through this opening. You will have to wiggle and play with it a while until it sits right.  I sometimes cut the interfacing more so it fits. It depends how accurate the seams are.

Stitch the lining to the linen with a blind stitch and you have your basket.
Linen Zakka Inspired Basket
Decorate as desired. (Can I say that I loved saying that!!) Mine needs something but I will update this picture tomorrow with some flowers and the cool beads I am getting in the mail this Saturday.

Here's the final project! I used some leaf beads and some rough edged fabric flowers.
Linen Zakka Inspired Basket
 (Hint: If you carefully cut the linen square parallel to the grain, you can easily finger press every seam.)

Make one to store all that sewing stuff or some Easter goodies. I bet this would work with some heavy weight fabric instead of the linen too!

OK! Go!  Go! It can't be as hard as making this happen! *grin*

 I'm linking this to Sew and Tell.

17 comments:

  1. so cute! they'd make great easter baskets to use year after year.

    ~visiting from sew and tell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute and functional! I should so make some... once I'm caught up on all the other projects on the list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is adorable! I could use a few of these.

    That video is very cool. I wonder how many tries that took!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Thank you so much for this tutorial. I am going to make one in every color to help my daughter learn her colors! I'll give you a link when I've made them. Hopefully I'll have them done by summer time :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh i want to try one!!!! these are so great. thanks for the tutorial!!! great finish

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the great tutorial! These would be perfect for little gift baskets since it looks like they come together pretty fast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this! I'm looking forward to making a few. This are just so handy and cute. Great for gift giving too. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the tutorial - those baskets are too cute! Thanks that you put all those information together - I can only imagine how much work went into that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the tutorial! These are so cute . . . I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are gorgeous. Thank you for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the great tutorial, these basket are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kristen, great tutorial! Love the baskets. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, this is complete loveliness? But how do you make those perdy flower embellishments? Greedy aren't I! Thanks, and I'm adding this to my tumblr!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This basket is so nice, thanks for your tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank You, great tutorial and great baskets :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. gracias por el tutorial, seguire tu blog desd España, saludos

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make me so happy!
(Comment moderation enabled.)