February 12, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day Sew and Tell

I had a very unhappy accident in the kitchen. *Stay with me.* My ruby red mixer had a glass fall on it from the cabinet above and smashed on top of it. It has multiple paint chips and scratches through the paint. ARGHH! I sighed for a while cleaning up all the glass. Then I thought about my sewing machine and how it didn't have a cover either. I saved, saved and saved some more for it. (I went a year without a sewing machine to do this.) Poor thing was getting dusty and help me if little hands played with it.

After defacing it with Hello Kitty it needed more love. 
P2120445

I had been putting the zipper carrying cover upside down over the machine. Who is going to lift and put their machine away? I'm much too lazy for that! Oh yeah, the dealer wants you to buy something else. Well... I'd rather spend it on fabric than gadgets!
P2120446

So I made this cover.
P2120448

I based it on the Moda tutorial here, but as usual I had to take an easy project and make it ridiculously difficult. I embroidered some redwork hearts in variegated thread Ruby Slippers by Crescent Colors. (Super Bowl time)
P2120449

I love heart buttons.
P2120451

I guess I never made anything for the other one I had, because I yelled at it too much. I'll make a more plain cover for my mixer soon.

Don't forget to enter my Valentine's giveaway here in this post! I've used fabric from this project.

I've been posting all week about Valentine's projects. Check them out. I am not sure why I am so into it this year. We usually swear off the cards, candy and going out. I'll snuggle under a quilt on couch watching a movie with hubby. Cheap date, I guess.

Happy Valentine's Day!

So go visit Sew and Tell. There are more talented and crafty people than me out there.

21 comments:

  1. I love the cover! Fantastic work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ilove the cover, and am reminded that I need to make one myself....you can put sewing machines away...I never knew!!
    Blessings,
    KT

    ReplyDelete
  3. adorable. I want a cover for my machine, mixer and toaster oven. I HATE looking at my toaster oven. The other two I just want to look cute when not in use!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely. You can even make more for the other holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a happy cover for your sewing machine. I love how you have added those hearts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice cover! I'm with you on Valentines day. I'd rather cuddle and watch a movie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your embroidered hearts are adorable. The perfect finishing touch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great project! Love the red and white! Thanks for shairng :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an adorable cover. I love red!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous cover! The reds are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow...gorgeous sewing machine cover...i love it..

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have inspired me to make a fabric cover for my machine. Right now I just cover it with the plastic one that it came with! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your sewing machine cover is dynamite. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is, hands down, the cutest sewing machine cover I have ever seen! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The machine cover looks great! I need to make one for mine too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is a adorable cover...sorry about your mixer, that sounds sad. i need to make a cover for mine soon...it is always so dusty.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous cover-very clever with the cut out in front!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great cover for your sewing machine. Never thought about making one for mine. Great idea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make me so happy!
(Comment moderation enabled.)