January 29, 2010

Yo-Yos, Circles, Coins and Flying Geese

Yo Yo Runner
My Yo-Yo quilt runner is done. Yes! *insert silly dance here* I have worked on and off on this thing for about 5 years. So *insert more silly dancing here*. This is my contribution to Sew and Tell.
 Yo Yo Runner
I hate it and love it. I think it works well on our dresser, but it also took forever since the sewing machine never touched it. I definitely learned a new technique. The yo-yos were made from a butter spread lid. I have about 4 rows left over where it will hang over the dresser. Should I add them? Does anyone know what the rules are for stitching the yo-yos together? I used anywhere from 4 to 8 stitches depending on my mood.
.Yo Yo Runner

 I hate it when books say attach yo-yos together and that's it. Kind of like quilt as desired, right?

 So go visit Sew and Tell. There are more talented and crafty people than me out there.



I also made some progress on my cross stitch goals for the year- Cirque des Cercles.
Ink Circles - Cirque Des Cercles
Ink Circles - Cirque Des Cercles 1/29

The single color is relaxing. No more new stitching projects until I finish this. I have finished a lot more of it than I thought I would considering I was sick. The Ink Circle Stitchers are working on a lot of tempting projects. 


I just finished this coin quilt top with a Moda jelly roll called Spring Magic.
  Spring Magic Coin Quilt
I am piecing the back out of left over pieces of the jelly roll. It figures that the width is 46 inches wide! I think I want to bind the quilt with a light pink polka dot. I need to find this first!
 Spring Magic Coin Quilt 
 My models helped me with the pictures. They did great! Of course we are still in our PJs. Can you tell?  


These are my Nancy's Quilt Shop block of the months that were cut but never sewn.
  Marti Mitchell template block1

Marti Mitchell template block2

Marti Mitchell template block3

I finally bought a Bernina after spending a year without a sewing machine. Now I have no excuse to finish. The triangles and their points are killing me. The Marti Mitchell templates help line everything up, but the ironing is the hardest part. There should be books on just pressing! How do you press these things where 6 corners meet at really weird angles?
 Marti Mitchell template block3 back
I thought I disliked the templates, but now I realized I just hate blocks with 70 or more pieces. LOL. I really didn't like hand piecing this one so that's why the rest of them sat around for a year. Why did I buy the warm AND cool colorways. 21 blocks to go! I can do it.

These are only a few of my yearly goals as blogged here. I think I am on track to remove a lot of those undone crafty things that make me sigh. It's been a busy two weeks.

Update:
Do the threads on the orange block bother you as much as they bother me? I also noticed I missed a yo-yo. Errr. Ok I was in a hurry this morning. :)

21 comments:

  1. I LOVE yo-yo's. And your coins turned out great. Love the models :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the runner just how it is! and your models are great, love the quilt and your blocks are amazing. I am working on sampler blocks right now and man it takes some skill!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow these are all amazing projects...lots of finishes!!! the coin quilt is lovely...i am intrigued by the yo yo runner. i have a box full made by my mom in the 70's and i am in need of a dresser topper....maybe this was the idea i was looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, where to start! the yo-yo's are fabulous! I don't know that I would have that stanima. Love your coin quilt, and those blocks are great. Congrats on getting to them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the coin quilt. The way you have graduated the colours is gorgeous! I think I need to make one now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am making a whirly gig quilt using Spring Magic. Looks great!!
    Yoyos are alot of work. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a lot of yo yo's! Looks fantastic on your dresser! I really like your coin quilt top - such pretty fabric and cute models :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have certainly been a busy little beaver. The yo-yo's look great. I love, love your coin quilt. Love the fabrics. And yes some instructions leave a bit to be desired when they use vague instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your coin quilt top is very very pretty! I also love your Nancy BOMs - we have similar tastes in color!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The yoyo runner is entirely too FAB!!

    and the colors on your coin top is so to die for!

    Let me know if you need help on the pink dot..I'm pretty sure I've got some stashed..I'd be happy to send you some!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW!! That is a lot of Yo Yos! Looks great! You've been quite busy. All of your projects are lovely, I especially like your cross stitch, great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, you've taken on some very time consuming projects! Love the coin quilt - nice to have a quick project in there, hey?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, I'm pretty impressed. I love the yo-yos, can't imagine all those precision pieces and think the coin quilt goes very well with your models. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your fabric choice for the coin quilt. I am hoping to make one soon.

    Thanks for stopping by from the Friday Follow, following.

    Carole
    http://sewcuteblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, what great pictures and your finishes are wonderful. I don't think the yo-yo dresser scarf needs to hang....looks good like it is in my opinion. I hear you about the pressing...it can be very hard with a lot of intersections....yes, exactly like "quilt as desired" !! A couple of the quilt magazines are now showing some quilting at the end of each pattern article...that does help.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Everything in this post is spectacular, but can I just tell you that I flipped over your cross-stitch. That is stunning. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the coins, they look good enough to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wait there was so much in this post-of-loveliness that I am not even sure where to begin! I adore all of your work its lovely, and your kids are just precious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your quilt runner, cross stitch, quilt and blocks look fantastic. Love all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You've done a lot this week. I really love your yo-yo table runner. I love yo yos and yours are perfect. Great coin quilt (and models) as well. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make me so happy!
(Comment moderation enabled.)